Work log analysis

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Hello, our developers started to work with Jira and logging time in each issue. We have several common stages where we agreed to log time and add specific comment for it, these are:

• Estimating
  • Research
  • Coding
  • Refactoring
  • Reviewing
  • Testing
  • Configuring

Those logs are searchable just like comments, especially when we agreed to use special word combo like "Timelog:Refactoring". Also in JQL i've found worklogAuthor. But any JQL returns just issue list, not specific data i need. 

Now... how to extract and analyze log data? =) Most likely 3rd party programs or export and good old Excel/MySQL?

For instance, we want to know % of each activity based on issue type or does all developers spent same % of time on Testing.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ray Schröter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 24, 2021
1 vote
Zsuzsa Galicza [Midori]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2022

Hi @Alexey

You can also check out Better Excel Exporter, it is good for handling situations like this, and also has a default template to export worklogs, you can read about it here. Out of the box it looks like this:

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

1 vote
Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 8, 2021

Hello @Alexey

I can recommend our Worklogs - Time Tracking and Reports if you are comfortable working on an exported spreadsheet data. I'm attaching a short instruction on how to achieve this.

1. Go to the worklogs page, select the project, users, and date range you are interested in and then click Export -> Download XLSX (selected fields)

worklogs-overview.png

2. Make sure that comment is in the selected fields (this is where you store your word combos)

worklogs-export.png

3. Click export and the spreadsheet will be generated. Make sure to switch to the details tab - it contains the data you need. Worklog data with users, timestamps, and comments.

worklogs-spreadhseet.png

In order to avoid the need to export the data to a spreadsheet, you could also consider using separate Jira issues for each type of assignment and then marking them with labels or other issue fields appropriately. That would allow you to group & categorize the time directly on the Worklogs page. If that's not an option though, you can always rely on the spreadsheet export.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Sebastian

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2021

@Sebastian BrudzińskiThanks! I need time to check it but looks promising.

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
January 12, 2021

Hello @Alexey 

You can read  this article on how you can manage time without time tracking tools:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-manage-your-team-without-time-tracking-tools/ba-p/1537650

An as an alternative to time tracking, if your team moves tasks from status to status - try the solution described in this article.

I hope you find it helpful

Best regards, Mariana

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2021

Hey, they mostly log it on automatically via IDE, they can forget to move task, but log time is not an issue.

Kirill Medvednykov May 1, 2021

Hello @Alexey , If you are using Scrum board and logging time over jira worklog, you can try this plugin. It is free and easy to use.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223865/simple-time-tracker-report-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2021

@Kirill MedvednykovThanks for the reply, but we're using Kanban and continuous development. 

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hi @Alexey ,

You are on Atlassian Cloud platform, so accessing Database is not possible.

1. You can export JQL results (Export Excel CSV (All field))

Later you can generate report by using charts in Excel

2. We have many Plugin's to Extract  Worklog data

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?category=Time%20tracking&hosting=cloud&product=jira 

3. REST API's if you have idea About API's

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events