Will SAML (SSO) configuration allow users to access non-local domain projects?

Jeffrey Ferraro April 26, 2021

Our employees and external vendors currently access our (People's United Bank) Jira instance via SAML (SSO), so everybody is currently assigned an '@peoples.com' email address.  Our question:  if someone was using an @peoples.com email address to access non-PeoplesUnitedBank Jira projects, outside of the People's United Bank network, would they be impacted due to the SAML implementation?  We're asking if Atlassian Cloud knows the difference between using this address as a “local only” type login vs trying to use it as a PeoplesUnitedBank “federated” login?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

Hello @Jeffrey Ferraro,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When a domain is verified and claimed and SAML is implemented, it will be applied to the Atlassian account. 

With this said, if a user from your site where you verified the domain @peoples.com is added to another Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, or any other Atlassian Cloud with the exact same email address, they will have to use SAML SSO to log in.

Whenever they access an Atlassian Cloud site, they will be redirected to log in to the identity provider. 

An example: You verified the domain and users from @peoples.com use OneLogin Identity provider to log in. My atlassian.com email is also verified and my company uses Okta, for example, if I go to your site and add my atlassian.com email address, I will be redirected to login with Okta. 

Hope this clarifies!

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer