Will I need a development license to do a test run of migrating JIRA?

Daniel Pipe August 30, 2022

I am looking to migrate JIRA 6.3.4 to a new VM. But first I want to do a test run of this with a new JIRA instance, exporting a database backup of the current JIRA. 

Will I require the use of a development license to carry this out when it comes to installing a new JIRA instance on a test environment? 

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Hi @Daniel Pipe ,

if you have an active maintenance, then you can use the developer license that is on your Atlassian account : my.atlassian.com

This license is intended for non-production use : testing, development, pre-production ...

Let me know if this helps.

--Alexis

What are my options if I do not have an active maintenance license?

Update: I now have access to developer license key. 

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

Great, that's good to know ! If my answer helped you, please click on "Accept Answer" so that it can be useful to other people :)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hi @Daniel Pipe 

You can use the same license on an intranet network.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-a-test-environment-for-jira-966063324.html

Thanks and Regards,
Pramodh

Sorry, I'm a little confused as I do not see where it says that in the link. 

It seems to say instead that I should use a Dev. license for this. 

"The suggested license to apply to a non-production environment is a  Developer License , not an Evaluation license. You should only use an Evaluation license if you don't have a Developer license tied to your main license."

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Hi @Alexis Robert 

Thanks for the Information

It would be available in https://my.atlassian.com/products/your-licenses

License.png

Thanks

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2022

Alright, thanks for the help. I now need to know if there is any way I can get a developer license without having an active maintenance license. 

0 votes
Exper Labs June 21, 2023

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, JIRA, which is a popular project management tool developed by Atlassian, does not require a development license for performing a test run of migrating JIRA

Suggest an answer