Why some users don't see the "Add item" option on the left menu?

Simona Ortale June 23, 2021

Some users are not able to see the "Add item" option in the vertical left menu. Even Project Leaders are missing this option. How do I enable it?

addItem.JPG

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

If I am not mistaken are use your must-have project admin permissions to add item

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Hello @Simona Ortale 

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? It will say which it is at the bottom of the Navigation pane on the left.

What type of project is it - Business (Work Management), Software, or Service Desk (Service Management)? That will be shown at the top of the navigation pane directly below the project name?

This is likely a permissions issue, but the answer depends on which of the above applies to your project.

Hello,

I'm working on JIRA Software Cloud (I'm an admin) and the project is company-managed.

addItem2.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

It is likely a permissions issue for the specified users for the specified project.

Follow the information in this article to use the Permissions Helper to find the exact permissions the users are missing.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

The users will need the Create Issue permission for that project in order to be able to add issues to it.

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

we do have a detailed Issue permission scheme, but this is to "Issue" not much for the left menu.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

I'm sorry, I don't understand your last post.

Have you confirmed that the users have permissions to create issues in the project? If the users have permissions to create issues in the project, then the Add Item option should display in the navigation pane on the left.

Hello,

yes, of course the Users can create issues, delete or modifying them. My question was: why they cannot see the "Add item" option in the left menu? That's all.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2021

See @Jack Brickey 's answer. I believe he is correct.

I was mistaken in thinking "Add Item" was the same as "Create Issue". Add Item is actually for adding options to the navigation pane, and that is likely limited to Project Admins.

Like Simona Ortale likes this

Suggest an answer