Why requested date not working in a long SQL query (advanced search JIRA)?

Lyes.Ettayeb September 1, 2022

Hello Everyone! I have a question regarding the SQL advanced search in JIRA. I'm new when it comes to SQL, but it seems like the: date field >= yyyy-mm-dd is not working when included in a long query, but will work when it's a small query? Is this known or am I doing something wrong?

When used in a long query (less than 5000 characters), the date requested in the query is ignored and data returned includes all kind of dates, and it will pull all existing tickets that satisfy the query but not the date condition.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!J

QL is not SQL.

There are a couple of things to look at here. 

First, there's a limit on the number of characters you can put in a JQL field, and I don't think it's 5,000, that may mean your query is being truncated.

The second one is that it's easy to get a JQL string wrong, and the most likely explanation is that your query isn't doing what you think it is.

Could you give us the (outline of) the query you're trying to do?

Lyes.Ettayeb October 10, 2022

Thank you so much for the clarifications on the above, and sorry I kept referring to it as SQL :) but I was able to find out what was wrong, it was just a conjunction clause (OR) I believe what's triggered that. Thank you again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events