Why isn't this automation rule running?

Jacob Powell March 27, 2023

Hi, 

I'm doing some work on our automation rules, but I'm struggling to get going. I've got my rule set up as I believe it should be, when a Polaris issue is linked it should edit the linked description to 'Test!'

I want to run this rule any time a 'delivery ticket' is created

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 13.17.52.png

However, when I create a delivery ticket, nothing happens anywhere that I can see. Not on the created ticket, the original ticket, etc. I've tried setting it to send an email to myself, but still nothing.

Any clues as to where I'm going wrong? This rule is limited to the dummy project I'm working on. 

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Juan Carlos Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2023

Hi @Jacob Powell ,

The creation Issue Event dont call your Automation.

You can try to do something like this in an Automation:

Triger of the Automation:

• When issue Created,

Add a condition of "Related issues condition"

• Related issues: Linked Issues
  • Link Type: Polaris 
  • Rule Resticted, to your peoject.

Then:

Edit the Description.

*Note : For the Update Actions, your Automation is OK.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hello @Jacob Powell 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

when I create a delivery ticket, nothing happens 

When you create the delivery ticket are you also entering information to link that to another issue using the Polaris Issue Link? If so, then this rule will be triggered during issue creation. If you are not entering the link information during issue creation then this rule will not be triggered.

The next tricky part is understanding exactly which issues in the link pair causes the rule to be triggered.

Notice the description for the Trigger. The issue that will be considered the Trigger Issue is the one that shows in its Linked Issue section the Outward Description. In your scenario which issue is showing the Outward Description for the link relationship for Polaris Issue Link? And which one of the pair do you actually want to edit?

Rule executes when an issue is linked to another issue. {{issue}} will always refer to the source issue, so if ISSUE-A is blocked by ISSUE-B, this rule will execute on ISSUE-B. To access ISSUE-A, use {{destinationIssue}}, and to access the link type, use {{linkType}} (e.g. {{linkType}}

For the "Polaris Issue link", what are the Inward and Outward Descriptions associated with that link type? When you select the link type in the trigger you should see something like this with the Inward Description shown first (is blocked by) and the Outward Description shown second (blocks).

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 10.32.15 AM.png

Once we understand which issue in the link pair is triggering the rule, and which one you actually want to update, then we can provide specific advice on how to accomplish that.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

Hello @Jacob Powell 

Were you able to resolve your issue with the guidance provided, or do you need more assistance?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events