Why isn't my Sprint burndown report burning down for team-managed projects?

Henry Min May 16, 2023

I'm using a team-managed project and utilizing the sprint burndown report. However, I've noticed that the red line in the report only reflects the total story points remaining in the sprint and moves downward only when a story is moved to the "done" status. My workflow consists of a start-to-finish process with significant milestones in between. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the red line burn down based on the start-to-finish steps in my workflow, rather than solely relying on story points. Currently, my team doesn't revise story points on a daily basis. I appreciate any advice you can provide.

2 answers

0 votes
Henry Min May 16, 2023

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 2.04.08 PM.png

Henry Min May 16, 2023

@Trudy Claspill thank you. Shared.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hello @Henry Min 

Burn down occurs only when the issue is "done". Jira has no way to interpret how many story points are being completed between the time work starts and the time it completes.

It is not possible to change the Sprint Burndown chart to burndown points based on intermediate statuses in the workflow. 

Can you share your workflow with us? Perhaps from that we can come up with alternate suggestions.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

With the Scrum/Sprint methodology generally credit is not given for partially finished work, which is why the burndown doesn't change until the work item reaches its "done" status.

If you want to see burndowns (in a Team Managed project) for segments of the workflow you would need to create separate work items for those smaller segments. For instance you could create a work item for the Development work separate from the QA work. Each work item could progress through the workflow independently to a "done" status. Then you would see burndowns credits for each of them separately.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events