Why is the Key displaying before the Parent summary in the RHS of issues?

Fiona Morrison
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2024

In my most recent project, the Key is displaying in front of the Parent summary in the right side column of the issue. This means it's not possible to easily see the Parent summary (name). 

In older projects (created a few weeks ago) this is not the case.

I've checked out the Parent summary, and it is not prepended with the Key. 

Example of what I see in right side column when on any ticket assigned to a Parent. I can't see the name of the Parent!

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 5.27.32 pm.png

What I see when I filter by Issue on 'Epic' (select box hasn't been updated to 'Parent' as yet). The Key is not part of the Summary.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 5.27.07 pm.png

Have I somehow changed the settings? Or is this a new 'feature'?

1 answer

0 votes
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Fiona Morrison and welcome to the Community,

There have been several changes to Epics last year and more recently. Epic Link and Parent Link have been replaced by Parent. However I believe Parent Link was still active on some sites up until 1/2 weeks ago.

So might be that changes rolled out to your site recently.

Check out infos on those changes: Upcoming changes: 'epic-link' replaced with 'parent' | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

To answer your other question: No, you cannot change the behaviour of the Parent field.

Fiona Morrison
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2024

Thanks for getting back to me so fast Rebekka.

This is not an improvement! Seeing a key is not at all helpful if one can't see the parent name.

Is this a permanent change? And do you know why Atlassian thought the key would be more helpful than the parent name?

I'm going to raise a support issue for this as it is actually a hindrance rather than an improvement. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events