Why is my automation to add a new issue to a Sprint board not working?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

From an Epic, I created an issue.  My automation (below) isn't firing.  When I create the issue, Project in the Epic and the created issue = the value in the automation.

Automation

automation 5-8-23.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hello @Phil Bustin 

Please share with us the details of the Audit Log for the execution of the rule.

Is the Sprint field in the issue blank after this automation runs or does the field show the sprint value you expect?

What is the Filter Query for the board you are referencing?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

The log shows "No execution".

A different automation works, based on a different field, not Project, but that field is selected by the user in a transition form preceding an automation clone action.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Can you please provide a screen image of the Audit Log? Is there not an entry, indicating that the rule was not triggered? Or is there an entry that has some Status and some messages when you expand the details (Show more).

You did say in your original post that the rule "is not firing". The rule trigger is for "Issue Created". That trigger has no conditions associated with it directly, so the rule should be triggered when an issue is created in the project that is specified on the Rule Details page in the Scope area.

Is the newly created issue created by a user through the UI, or is it created as an action in some other rule?

By default when you create a new rule it is configured so that it will not be triggered by actions that are executed by other rules. 

If the newly created issue is created by an action in another rule, then this rule (the one you showed in your original post) needs to have an option on the Rule Details page set:

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 1.34.34 PM.png

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2023

Well, I wrote a lot below, but the automation is working now.  I'll leave my treatise in place just for fun:

I discovered that the automation (let's call it Automation A) worked twice and then there was no action (see below).  

The newly created issue is created from an epic by a user; not created as an action in some other rule. 

There is, however, a different automation (let's call it Automation B) that can create the same issue type in a clone action, from an JSM issue type identified as a condition in Automation B.

I created an issue just now with Automation B, and it did not fire Automation A.

Automation A log to date

automation log 5-9-23.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events