Why is issue not appearing in sprint when I create it using the create button under the sprint group

Elizabeth Asuncion Perez Ong May 23, 2022

Issue appears in the sprint when I create it using the create button at the top of the page, but does not appear in the sprint when I create and issue using the button at the bottom of the sprint group.

Will have to check what version our Jira is. 

3 answers

1 vote
Dele Taylor May 24, 2023

We're having the same issue for several months now.  Adding a card to a future sprint used to work fine, but now the card is always added to the bottom of the backlog and we have to drag it to the correct sprint.  (Please assume we have a good reason for using this feature that used to work.)

2023-05-24_09-30-13.png

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Generally, you should not be creating issues straight into an active sprint (or even a future one).  As work arrives, it should go into the backlog, get refined, and then be compared with the rest of the backlog when the team are selecting what needs to go into the next sprint.

Is that not what you are doing? I have to ask why are you trying to create issues directly in a sprint?  What is the reason for doing it?

(Your version of Jira doesn't matter for this question, you've said "Cloud" in the tags, so we know it's "latest")

Elizabeth Asuncion Perez Ong May 26, 2022

The project was set up as a sprint when it should be kanban.  Also, it doesn't make sense that one button creates it directly into the sprint and one button doesn't.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

When you use "create issue" in general, it will only put an issue into a sprint if you explicitly fill in the sprint field during creation.  The buttons are not doing the sprint allocations, you are.

Elizabeth Asuncion Perez Ong May 29, 2022

Yes, I put filled up the sprint field in both situations  What now?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2022

I don't know what you are looking for next. You are selection a sprint as you create the issue

Terrance January 26, 2024

Experiencing the same issue.  

- Create button

- Add sprint to sprint field using dropdown

- Issue ends up in Backlog, every time

Is there a solution for this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2024

There is no issue, things are supposed to go into the backlog when newly created - it's up to the team to draw them into a sprint when they are ready to do them, not have things jammed into it by other people.

0 votes
Bandarupalli Sai May 24, 2022

If you create the ticket from the sprint, make sure that you are adding the created issue in the current active sprint by selecting the appropriate value in sprint field drop down. If you don't select the sprint, issue will go and sit in backlog.

Elizabeth Asuncion Perez Ong May 26, 2022

It is added to the sprint when I created it.  It didn't appear in either the backlog or the sprint.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events