Why is an automation rule showing "Unknown fields set during transition" errors in the log?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2021

I created a rule from the library (When all sub-tasks are done → move parent to done) and used it as is, without modification - and it works. 

The rule closes parent tickets when subtasks are done.  To do so I creates transitions from all other workflow statuses to Done so that automation could perform the transition.  Also, the transition uses a post-function to set the resolution value automatically.

So as I mentioned, the rule works - the transition takes place and the resolution value is set, but errors are appearing in the audit log for the automation rule.  I have not been able to find an answer anywhere. 

So in case anyone is asking why I am posting another similar question, while I have found similar problems in the community - this seems more common than I would have guessed - they are not the same set of circumstances, and also, none of the posts I found were resolved.   I would love to know what's actually happening.

Capture 2021-05-03 at 1.16.18.pngCapture 2021-05-03 at 1.17.17.png

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan 

One possible cause of this symptom is when using a team-managed project (formerly called next-gen) and the team has created a custom field which duplicates another field's name. 

If this is a team-managed project, please check if there are 2 Resolution fields in the project.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hi Rob,

It looks like it's not a major issue, but most likely there is a transition screen from the parent issue that needs to be filled out when you push it to done.  

I would recommend the following:

1. Since you are using a post-function to set the resolution in the parent, remove the transition screen from the transition.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2021

Hi Fabian,

Thank you, but there is no screen in use.  That's why the post-function to set resolution is used.

Capture 2021-05-03 at 9.57.00.png

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Sometimes, I find that Project Automation and Workflows post-function conflict with each other.  

I suggest the following then:

1. Remove the post-function in the workflow and set the resolution in the automation.  

2. I would also add a condition after the status trigger to check that this only applies to Sub-tasks.  

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Hey Rob - I have never seen that with the Resolution field before. What type of project is this?

Maybe the Resolution field is missing from the Edit screen?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2021

Resolution is definitely missing from the edit screen.  That would make it editable, wouldn't it?  Resolution only appears on the resolution screen.

This project was fine until I added an automation rule.

This is just a standard Software project.  Nothing special.

Thank you for replying though - I'm really confused  here!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Do you have any conditions on the transitions to Done?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Ah, I bet your Automation is clearing the Resolution field. Can you check the history of the issue to see what is happening with that field?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2021

Its not, the history and activity all look good.  Honestly, from the looks of it, everything is working as designed, but there are errors

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Is the Resolution field actually getting updated? 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2022

I apologize for not replying way back then - and now I can't remember.  It was worked out but I forget how :(

I will try to find the answer and update this page.

Like # people like this
Matthew Knatz January 21, 2022

@Rob Horan We're seeing the same thing for transitions that are not setting resolutions (e.g. Backlog -> To Do) It seems that all transitions performed by the automation complain if there's no screen with a resolution. If you found/have a fix I'd love to know. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

Hey @Matthew Knatz  - Automation is not going to be able to call a transition screen. So you need to add another transition to the status being used in your automation rule and set the values that would be done through the screen. Then I would put a condition on the transition so that only the group atlassian-addons can execute it. 

@Rob Horan  - any update?

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Matthew Knatz January 21, 2022

@John Funk I’m actually not setting any fields, just kicking the issue to a new status and adding a comment. I don’t want to thread hijack, so if it’s better for me to start my own thread with my automation screenshot I’m happy to do so

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

@Matthew Knatz - You should probably do that. And put in a much detail as you can about what you are trying to do.  :-)

Suggest an answer