Why has my automation started failing?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

An automation that creates a sub-task was working for a week, but today after I set up a default screen for a sub-task workflow, the automation failed on Description (see below).

I tried adding Description to the default screen I created, but the error persists.

Automation error from log:

Create issue
Unknown fields set during create, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -
Description (description)
Error creating issue
Description: Description is required.
The automation piece looks like this:
Automation.jpg

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Is the description field also on the Create screen?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

Now it is, and the problem is resolved.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

For clarity, is this automation running against a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project? Since you mentioned adding the field to a screen, I suspect it is a Company Managed project. And is TAST6 a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

Description should be a system field, not a custom field. If you go to the Custom Fields screen and search for Description what are the results? There should be no results.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 1.48.13 PM.png

If the Custom Fields screen shows that you have a custom field named Description, then Jira is getting confused because there are two fields that have the same name. You should never create a Custom Field that has the same name as another Custom or System field so that this type of ambiguity is avoided.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2023

Thank you.  I don't know how I gave the impression I had a custom field called "Description", but I don't.  The problem was solved when I added the system field "Description" to some screens that didn't have them, including ones I'm trying to delete but don't know how.  I think those screens are part the same Issue Screen Scheme or Screen scheme that contains the one(s) being used.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

You did not give the impression that you had a custom field called "Description". That was just one possible cause for the problem you were having. Sounds like it was a much simpler cause, though, that the field was missing from the Create Screen based on your response to Mikael's answer.

Like Phil Bustin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events