Why don't I get a notification when I @ mention myself in a Jira Ticket?

Todd Ogin October 8, 2019

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-don-t-I-get-an-email-notification-if-I-mention-myself-in-a/qaq-p/1176075 asks the same question but has an unsatisfactory answer to me and my colleagues. Since I demand satisfaction, opening up this separate question.

When I used to @ mention myself, no matter my notification settings (short of completely disabling) I would get an alert of my own mention. That has ceased to work.

This feature was useful for many reasons, including self tagging tasks or action items in comments. Others have flagged stories like having email copies of comments to foward on to outside parties without jira instance access.

While there is an option to enable notifications for all my activity, that is *not* what I want. What I, and my colleagues, want is the original middle ground where our own activity doesn't notify us constantly but we are treated as our own third party if we @ notify ourselves.

It looks like this is the correct issue to follow: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73112

I will prefer to leave this unanswered until an actual workaround for the regression is provided or the above issue is fixed. This answer will serve to make this discoverable.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Hi Todd,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When I used to @ mention myself, no matter my notification settings (short of completely disabling) I would get an alert of my own mention. That has ceased to work.

This was actually reported as a bug which was fixed in September. Now you will only receive a notification when you mention yourself if you select the option “Notify me” on your profile.

If you are still watching this ticket, we have actually returned back to the issue and fixed it. Now, mentioning yourself will respect your "notify me of my own changes" setting, as you might normally expect.

For now, we must wait for the feature you mentioned to be implemented to have the ability to mention ourselves without enabling the “Notify me” for all changes we make.

Regards,
Angélica

Todd Ogin October 9, 2019

Annoying, but definitely a believable story. Would have preferred that person be pushed back against, but c'est la vie. Thanks for explaining. Accepting this answer.

Like Jo Astley likes this
jo astley October 23, 2019

@Angélica Luzwhen will this feature likely be out? Not sure what bug was being fixed but it is worse now that I have to see a notification for every single action I take! I already receive 100's of ticket pings into my inbox a day this is just adding to the noise. Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2019

Hi Jo,

We don't know when this feature will be implemented and if it will be implemented. There are a lot of factors that our dev team takes into consideration to add a feature in Jira.

You can find more details on our policy:

Regards,
Angélica

jo astley October 24, 2019

Hi Angelia

I appreciate this but it seems something has been fixed that wasn't broken. So up until some fix went out in September I was able to @ myself into tickets and that would show in my email inbox. Now I have to switch on 'Notify myself' which sends me an email for every single action I do on JIRA which is very annoying and adds to noise.

It would seem from questions and chatter I have seen on here that lots of people would want it reverting back to the old way.

So having an idea if this is going to be fixed again would be useful.

Like # people like this
Mark Frederick January 6, 2020

Angélica said:  _For now, we must wait for the feature you mentioned to be implemented to have the ability to mention ourselves without enabling the “Notify me” for all changes we make._

Thank you!  Please bring that feature back.  To @mention one's self is a deliberate action which should override the other setting used to control automated notifications, which can obviously become too chatty.  

jo astley January 13, 2020

@Angélica Luzis there any update on this please? I have created a separate email inbox  for the now 'JIRA noise' but it does not get everything and my main JIRA inbox is therefore still very, very cluttered from pings regarding changes I have made - every single change! This change has definitely made things worse :(

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 14, 2020

Hello @jo astley

I reached out to the team responsible for Jira notifications and they told me that there are no plans to add the new feature on the future releases.

I mentioned about the feedbacks here in community and on the feature request, but unfortunately, the option to receive notifications of our own mentions won't be added soon.

Regards,
Angélica

jo astley January 15, 2020

Thanks for the response but this is not a new feature, this is putting something back to the way it was. It is the change that the notifications team did that has caused this issue and all because someone complained about getting notifications for @ themselves when then could have written their name without using the @. I have no idea why that was not highlighted to them over making this change for one person which in turn has made the user experience worse for many.

It is very disappointing to hear that it is not even being considered. Time and time again it would seem UI changes are made that are not even required and much needed functionality is ignored :(

Regards

Jo

Like # people like this
Sarah Singer January 15, 2020

My take:

Some other new feature was added, breaking this one. And then rather than spend resources to fix the bug they were introducing, they decided to spin it as a "bug fix" due to that one person's odd ticket from 2013.

I cannot believe that this change was truly an intentional feature, since any user interviews would've resulted in the same use cases and concerns we're all voicing now.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tim Mack November 12, 2019

How does a user "fix" this when 'Notify Myself' is not an option in our organization profile?

Mark Frederick January 6, 2020

....option is only avail under a user's individual profile, if i am not mistaken.  I could be wrong.

Suggest an answer