Why doesn't the Sprint number increment when I move stories to "New Sprint"?

Diana Mortimer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 23, 2021

We recently migrated to Jira Cloud from on on-premise Jira instance.  Now, when I close out a Sprint (with incomplete stories) and choose to move them to "New Sprint", it doesn't automatically increment the Sprint number.  The number is always set back to the Sprint number that we were at when we migrated over.  I have to rename the Sprint to be the correct number.  Very strange.

4 answers

1 vote
Emre Endeş
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 10, 2023

+1

ie. I've just closed the Sprint 14, and created the Sprint 15. I had to change the sprint name from 11 to 15 manually. 

1 vote
Tom Hofer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 22, 2022

Hi Diana, have you ever figured out what the issue was? 

I have the same experience in my teams after we moved from on prem to the cloud.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2021

Hi Diana, welcome to the community and cloud.

Something doesn't sound correct here. Anytime that I do this new sprint is created that equates to previous sprint +1. Do you think.

Can you tell me if this is a Company managed project or a team managed project? Would it be possible to share some screenshots what is happening? I am assuming that you don't have any open/planning sprints in the backlog at the time you close the current sprint, correct?

0 votes
Jim Reich
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 11, 2023

I have this problem too, but we got it when we migrated from a Jira team-managed project to a company-managed project, which happened at sprint 25.

So when we ended sprint 36 this morning, it tried to put everything into sprint 25, as it's been doing for every sprint since, well, sprint 24. It's not a giant issue, because it just means I have to keep remembering to rename the sprint. But it is annoying, and it probably messes up our history.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events