Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why doesn't 'Epic Name' show any results when querying?

Hey Everyone - 

I'm trying to figure out why the column for 'Epic Name' is empty when I query stories in JQL. We're not using Next-Gen projects - so I've ruled that issue out. Anyone know how I can get this column to show the Epic Name? When I export my results, I want the name of the Epic to show in the csv. If I export the Epic Link, it just gives me a ticket number so I have to do a separate query to actually get the name for each of those linked Epics. 

4 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

On Stories, you should use Epic Link field .

Epic Name is only populated on Epics elements and used as a label on the Epic Link dropdown on Stories. So there is no way to retrieve such information on CSV at Story level.

Regards

Epic link won't get me what I need but I appreciate the clarification, that's helpful. 

Thanks for you kind words.

Did my initial answer solve your doubts?

If so, consider to mark the proposed solution as an 'Accepted answer'. This will help other people with the same or a quite similar problem to find a solution in a easy and faster way.

In addition, by doing this the post will automatically gain the "Solved:" prefix in search results to indicate other people that no further support is needed.

Kind Regards.

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Jennifer_Molyneaux 

You are correct that this cannot be done with standard Jira JQL queries.

I run into this same situation when exporting information to provide more advanced reporting than is available in out-of-the-box Jira.  Here is what I do:

• Export my child project data (stories, bugs, tasks), including the epic link field
  • Separately, export all of the epics, including the epic name field
  • Bring both of these CSV files into one spreadsheet
  • Add a formula to lookup the Epic Name from the epic data to associate to the children's Epic Link field: child's Epic Link = epic's Key

Best regards,

Bill

Hey Bill - 

This is just what I was looking for in terms of a workaround. Thank you so much!!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Jennifer_Molyneaux

I have an alternative using Automation for Jira - I expect it'll also be possible using a script add-on such as ScriptRunner

Automation for Jira allows you to automate actions - such as updating a field - based on a trigger event - such as an issue being created or updated.

This is how I did it using Automation:

1. Create a new single-line custom text field - eg. "Parent Name"
  2. Don't add the field to a screen - it can still be populated even if not on a screen
  3. In Automation for Jira, create a new rule
  4. Add a Trigger - for example, issue updated (this would cover the Epic Link)
  5. Add an Action - to update the field "Parent Name", copying the value from the child issue's Epic parent, specifically the Epic Name field
  6. Create the rule, give it a name and activate it
  7. Go to an issue and update it - eg. remove / re-add the Epic Link
  8. Next, go to your issue search page and add "Parent Name" to your list of columns. This will have populated with the Epic's name
  9. Export the data

As the text field has copied the text from the Epic Name, it'll be text rather than the Epic's issue key. This saves the manual steps in excel to join the text together.

The solution suggested by @Bill Sheboy is a good alternative though - if you don't have these apps or are unable to get them, this is what I would suggest also :)

Ste

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ - this is perfect!! Thank you so much!!

Hi everyone,

I just added @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ suggestion to our Jira instance and this is the updated instruction for the new issue view. 

1. Create a new single-line custom text field - eg. "Teil von"
  2. Add the field (at least) to the view screens of the Issuetypes you will run the jql on
  3. In Automation for Jira, create a new rule (copy from the picture)
  4. Create the rule, give it a name and activate it
  5. Go to an issue and update it - eg. remove / re-add the Epic Link
  6. Next, go to your issue search page and add "Teil von" to your list of columns. This will have populated with the Epic's name
  7. Export the data

Automation Partof.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

100 views 1 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you