Why does an epic link show up as unlabeled?

I have an epic ticket DSTRA-71 and a story DSTRA-110 linked to it.  However on ticket DSTRA-110, the epic link shows up as "unlabelled-DSTRA-71" . Why does it say unlabelled?  The link works and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with the epic. 

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

I've seen this when:

• the index has had a problem - try re-indexing the project
  • someone has messed with the Epic fields (by unlocking them and changing things)
  • someone had changed the field context for the Epic Name - go to admin -> custom fields and check that it applies globally, but only for the Epic issue type

Thanks! for some reason, it was created without an "Epic Name" even though it is a mandatory field.  Not sure how that happened.

Just experienced this. What happened to me was I changed the issue type from a task to an epic, hence the epic name was blank

I just made a brand new scrum project with all the defaults for everything. created an epic. No epic name field. created a task from this epic. now the task shows 'unlabelled-CAP-1" as the epic.

This is the most asinine default setup i've ever seen behind Rally CA Agile Central. Now i have to pore through pages and pages of confusing documentation to figure out how to make a custom field for epic name?? how does atlassian make such a BASIC thing so terrible by default???

Hi Jeff,

Have you tried this?

1. Open the Epic

2. Click Edit

There should be two fields on top of the screen, the Epic Name and Summary. To remove the "unlabelled", just add an Epic Name

yes ive tried that. 

There was no epic name nor summary field, even though i assigned/activated them everywhere i could find (configure screens, fields, issues, etc etc etc and all the defaults)

Now that ive gone in this screen and clicked the 'configure fields' button in the top right, i was able to add those fields so now theyre showing on issues (i dont understand why despite the enormous amount of different configuration options, this is not only not the default BUT i had to create and open a specific issue to get these fields to show....)=

However, now i cant get epic link to show when i'm using the 'all issues' view...how do i do that?

Tjerk W I'm New Here May 28, 2018

I changed an Epic to a Feature back to an Epic, and the EpicName was removed. And there is indeed no field to add it. Why is JIRA so COMPLEX?

Changed a Task to an Epic using the simple drop-down - ended up with this issue - the summary was populated with the Issue Title, but the 'title' field for the Epic was blank...

Appears to be a platform bug, maybe because the input title was too long, it didn't create a Title in the Epic?   It was fixable, but annoying.

Has anyone seen a Bug Issue created for this yet?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,510 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you