Why does an epic link show up as unlabeled?

Deleted user January 24, 2018

I have an epic ticket DSTRA-71 and a story DSTRA-110 linked to it.  However on ticket DSTRA-110, the epic link shows up as "unlabelled-DSTRA-71" . Why does it say unlabelled?  The link works and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with the epic. 

8 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

I've seen this when:

• the index has had a problem - try re-indexing the project
  • someone has messed with the Epic fields (by unlocking them and changing things)
  • someone had changed the field context for the Epic Name - go to admin -> custom fields and check that it applies globally, but only for the Epic issue type
Deleted user January 24, 2018

Thanks! for some reason, it was created without an "Epic Name" even though it is a mandatory field.  Not sure how that happened.

Like # people like this
Jary Nubla February 1, 2018

Just experienced this. What happened to me was I changed the issue type from a task to an epic, hence the epic name was blank

Like # people like this
Jeff Lovington February 16, 2018

I just made a brand new scrum project with all the defaults for everything. created an epic. No epic name field. created a task from this epic. now the task shows 'unlabelled-CAP-1" as the epic.

This is the most asinine default setup i've ever seen behind Rally CA Agile Central. Now i have to pore through pages and pages of confusing documentation to figure out how to make a custom field for epic name?? how does atlassian make such a BASIC thing so terrible by default???

Like # people like this
Jary Nubla February 17, 2018

Hi Jeff,

Have you tried this?

1. Open the Epic

2. Click Edit

There should be two fields on top of the screen, the Epic Name and Summary. To remove the "unlabelled", just add an Epic Name

Like # people like this
Jeff Lovington February 19, 2018

yes ive tried that. 

There was no epic name nor summary field, even though i assigned/activated them everywhere i could find (configure screens, fields, issues, etc etc etc and all the defaults)

Now that ive gone in this screen and clicked the 'configure fields' button in the top right, i was able to add those fields so now theyre showing on issues (i dont understand why despite the enormous amount of different configuration options, this is not only not the default BUT i had to create and open a specific issue to get these fields to show....)=

However, now i cant get epic link to show when i'm using the 'all issues' view...how do i do that?

3 votes
Shaun Fox May 14, 2019

I too changed a task to an epic using the drop-down and was faced with this issue.

I didn't have the permissions necessary to modify project settings to use some of the other suggested work-arounds.  I was able to get around it by turning off the New Issue View under Profile and Settings -> Personal Settings -> Jira labs.  After turning the new issue view off, I could navigate to the issue, click the Edit button and edit the epic name at the top of the edit view.

Sam Havens May 30, 2019

This is the ridiculous solution if you are having this problem, and can't fid the name field because of the new view.

Shaun Fox May 30, 2019

Yeah, definitely needs to be fixed in the new view.  I've stopped using it entirely.

Like # people like this
Siddharth Thounao June 27, 2019

Faced the same issue about editing the epic name. I turned off the New issue view and it worked. Hopefully it is fixed for New issue view asap.

Like Jennifer Javier likes this
Pietro Coelho October 23, 2019

Had the same problem. Switching to old view enabled me to add an Epic Name.

3 votes
Tjerk W May 28, 2018

I changed an Epic to a Feature back to an Epic, and the EpicName was removed. And there is indeed no field to add it. Why is JIRA so COMPLEX?

1 vote
Tara L Conklin September 13, 2019

I'm a new Jira administrator and I've tried/looked for all of these ideas/solutions above

• Epic Name as a required field when creating an Epic under a JSD project
    • don't see this anywhere in my jira cloud installment
  • Have you tried this?

1. Open the Epic

2. Click Edit

There should be two fields on top of the screen, the Epic Name and Summary. To remove the "unlabelled", just add an Epic Name

• Nope these fields don't exist in my EPIC (or any epic)
  •  ive gone in this screen and clicked the 'configure fields' button in the top right, i was able to add those fields so now theyre showing on issues
    • these fields are not available
  • the index has had a problem - try re-indexing the project
  • someone has messed with the Epic fields (by unlocking them and changing things)
  • someone had changed the field context for the Epic Name - go to admin -> custom fields and check that it applies globally, but only for the Epic issue type
    • I do not see where to do any of this. 

I'm a fairly tech-savvy person and Jira has been making me lose sleep since I started working in it a few weeks ago. 

TFS was SO MUCH EASIER THAN this! I'm half tempted to talk to my management about switching at this point. 

Stephanie Beach December 2, 2019

OK Found it. Open backlog, open epics and find your epic then click edit.epic.jpg

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
wags April 16, 2019

I solved it adding the Epic Name as a required field when creating an Epic under a JSD project. So far no complaints from the customer. :D

1 vote
Terrance August 28, 2018

Changed a Task to an Epic using the simple drop-down - ended up with this issue - the summary was populated with the Issue Title, but the 'title' field for the Epic was blank...

Appears to be a platform bug, maybe because the input title was too long, it didn't create a Title in the Epic?   It was fixable, but annoying.

Has anyone seen a Bug Issue created for this yet?

0 votes
Deyan Bektchiev December 8, 2020

Using the "Old view" and updating the Epic name fixes the issue for me.

It has been 2 years and why hasn't this still been addressed?

0 votes
David Cabeza February 27, 2020

My problem was that I changed a story to an epic. By associating the epic with the stories, they appeared with the word "unlabeled".

I solved it by opening the epic and writing in a field called "Epic name" because I never found a function called "Edit epic".

Screenshot from 2020-02-27 23-18-08.png

Tatjana Špoljar November 5, 2021

This solved my problem, thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events