Why do "Done" issues still showing in next Sprint?

Stacey June 9, 2021

As title, how do I change that?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

My guess would be because the issues were not flagged as "done" when you ended the previous sprint.

"Done" on a scrum board is the last column on the board, not just a done status or a filled resolution.

Stacey June 9, 2021

I have to move every "Done(status)" issue to "Done" column on the board view? Is there any faster way to do this in once?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

You should be doing it during the sprint as your developers complete the stories.

But if you need to do a tidying up exercise in bulk, yes, you can search for the issues and then use bulk-edit to transition them through the workflow into a status that is in the last column.

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Stacey June 9, 2021

I've just test it, when assignee change the issue status from X to "Done", in Board view, the issue will automatically move to "Done" column. then why do these "Done" issues still showing in current Sprint? @@a 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Because a sprint shows what is currently in it, irrespective of status.  The whole point of the sprint is to contain a set of issues that you've committed to doing.  And the board is there to show progression, including all the stuff you've marked done.  It doesn't drop "done" issues, the whole point is that you can see that they're there.

When you close the sprint, items done in that sprint will be seen as closed issues - they won't appear in the backlog, or in the next sprint because, well, they're done and the new sprint should be committing to doing the next selection of issues that need doing.  If an issue is not done when you finish a sprint, it will go into the next sprint, because it needs more work doing.

Gideon Nieuwoudt October 13, 2022

Thank you Selina, I was battling with this too - we had a status "Duplicate" that was an end status in the workflow but items added to that kept rolling over to the next sprint. After your post I went and looked at the sprint board and yup, we didn't have "Duplicate" as a status in our final column :) 

Like Diane Lowery likes this
Wendy ElDin January 16, 2023

My issues are being carried over to subsequent sprint even though all subtasks and parent issue are marked as Done

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

When you say "marked done", do you mean that they are in the last column on the board?

Cesar Calingasan July 4, 2023

I have same problems where completed/done issues without child or parent issues gets moved through to next sprint. Completed/Done issues would be sitting on the Completed/done Column of the Board. And when I try to close the active sprint and start a new sprint, these lists of completed/done Issues gets moved through to the new active sprint.

My solutions is to create an automation rule. 

When issues are transitioned to Complete/Done, the automation rule edit the Issue  (specifically the SPRINT, it clears the sprint of the issue, as empty).  Therefore these completed issues without any sprint, would be removed to the list in active sprint. So, at the end of the sprint, when I have to close the active sprint and start a new one, these completed sprint wont be there to start with anymore and they wont be moved to the next sprint anymore, as they don't have sprint in them anymore.

Cesar Calingasan July 4, 2023

JiraCapture.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023

That's a clever "fix", but it completely breaks all your sprint reports and makes it pointless doing sprints.

You need to look at the issues that have this problem and your board configuration.  You should not be clearing out the sprint field, you need to look at why you have not configured your board to work.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events