Why do issues assigned to a sprint, but with no assignee show up in the backlog

Marian Skupski November 10, 2013

I have a project with a single closed sprint.

Several issues are assigned to this sprint and resolved, but have no assignee set.

These issues appear in the backlog for the project. I would expect that an issue that is resolved and in a sprint would not show up in the backlog, regardless of the values of other fields.

Can you explain this to me?

1 answer

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

Can you check which workflow status is mapped to the Done column in your jira agile board. issues need to be in the done column for it to not appear in the backlog.

Rahul

I have added a column for this project. Issues that are resolved are in the resolved column and issues that are closed are in the closed column.

Since the sprint is complete, all I can see is the report, and these issues show up correctly as resolved in the report.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

Issues must be in the righmost cloumn for it to not appear in the backlog. Can you temporarily map the Resolved workflow status to the rightmost jiraagile column and see if that fixes your problem.

Rahul

Wow, that makes absolutely no sense.

Issues do not show up in the backlog when they are in a sprint, until they are resolved. Then suddenly, they show up in the backlog.

Even worse, if they are unassigned, in a sprint, and show up in the backlog with any status.

I thought I understood this product, but I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2013

It can be confusing at first for sure!

If you think of the sprint as confined by the columns you have configured, it makes a little more sense. The issue won't complete the sprint until it reaches the final step. Although these are related to workflow steps, a sprint can just be a view into your workflow. If you have multiple teams working on an issue, it might make sense for it to be in the backlog on a QA board before the issue is closed, even though it was resolved in development.

Suggest an answer