Why do I keep being forced to reset my password for JIRA/Confluence?

Kristen Hugg September 1, 2022

Hi everyone. Long-time JIRA user and admin for my company's instance here.

I keep getting asked to reset my password at seemingly random intervals of time. As far as I'm aware, there's no setting enabled for us to force users to reset their password after a given amount of time, and the messaging I get is borderline infuriating - "your admin wants you to set a new password" - I AM the admin, and no, I didn't ask to do this! Neither did any of the other admins! And they don't seem to have this issue!

Please see attached screenshot.

JIRA_WHY_PLZ_STOP.png

How do I regain control of this situation? Last time this happened earlier this year, I remember having to reset my password twice in the span of a week. 

Any and all wisdom/advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Kristen Hugg 

I'd initially check your Atlassian Access settings:

1. Go to admin.atlassian.com
  2. Select Security > Authentication Policies
  3. Check your policy to see if there is a short password expiry

But given you state it's only your account and not others - I would consider contacting Atlassian via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ for more direct assistance.

Ste

Warren Kent September 8, 2023

I have the same problem - @Kristen Hugg did you ever get an answer to this?

Kristen Hugg September 20, 2023

@Warren Kent Hi Warren - No, I never got a useful answer for this. In fact it just happened again the other day. It's truly bizarre.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2023

Have you tried contacting Atlassian Support as recommended above?

Ste

Warren Kent October 9, 2023

i have a ticket open with them but went on leave for a while - hopefully its still frozen (as per my request). Ill follow up and see what answers i can get.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events