Why do I have a permissions problems viewing Jira issues through Bitbucket?

jandyman May 6, 2021

I've got a strange situation. I recently migrated all our Bitbucket issues to Jira (that was messy, BTW). So now I can see all our issues in Jira - no permissions problems opening any issue.

Also, I can see the list of Jira items from the "Jira Issues" menu on the left side of the web page for our repository in Bitbucket.

But when I click on one of the Jira issues from the Bitbucket web page, I get an error message:

You don't have access to this issue. 

Make sure the issue exists in this project. If it does, ask a project admin for permission to see the project's issues.

And AFAIK, I *AM* a project admin for both the repo and Jira. Can anyone explain what is going on here?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2021

Thanks for that additional info here.  I found that there is a known bug about this behavior in Bitbucket Cloud that only appears to affect the Safari browser.  There are more details about this over in BCLOUD-17536.

The workaround for this is to open the link to Jira in a new tab.   Sorry for the inconvenience here.  I would recommend watching that bug ticket for updates to this problem.

Regards,

Andy

StannousBaratheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021

The Jira issue dialog will now automatically open in a new tab when it is blocked by the "prevent cross-site tracking" privacy feature in Safari.

Safari may still block the pop-up window in which case you can configure Safari to allow pop-up windows from bitbucket.org via "Preferences > Websites".

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2021

Hi @jandyman 

It appears that you have two different Atlassian accounts here.  The Bitbucket site you have seems to only have a single user on it, which seems to be same account you have used to post this question to Community.  A redacted form of that email address has this format: username@example.us

However the Atlassian Cloud site that I believe you are using here has a different account under a different email address, which as a redacted format of [firstInital][LastName]@[example_domain].com

This would suggest that the .us email address account does not have access to that Jira site yet.  That would explain the error message you are seeing when looking at this from Bitbucket trying to access the Jira Cloud site.

As I see it you could potentially resolve this either by adding the .com account to the Bitbucket site as a user, OR adding the .us account to that Jira Cloud site as a user.  Once you have a single user account that exists in both Bitbucket and Jira, you can then walk through the steps in Connect Jira Cloud to Bitbucket to connect these sites.

I hope this helps.

Andy

jandyman May 10, 2021

I do have two accounts, that's correct. But I was careful to check that I was logged into the work account (the .com account) both when trying to access Jira issues via Bitbucket and through Jira itself. On the repo in question, I have access through both accounts. In Jira, I only have access through the work account.

jandyman May 10, 2021

Just to clarify, I don't have any access problem getting to the issues through Jira itself, using the work account. It is only when trying to access them through the Bitbucket repo page (logged in via the work account) that I get this error message.

jandyman May 10, 2021

Update: It occurred to me to try this in Google Chrome vs Safari. The problem does NOT occur in Google Chrome, so it does not appear to be a permissions issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events