Why can't I make a board for a business project? Edited

How to I make a board for a business project?

boards > view all boards > create gives me the option to make three flavors, but they all insist on having a software project to use.

I've added the free trial of JIRA Core (which seems odd since JIRA Software should include that already) and the situation hasn't changed.

jira-agility-board-fail.pngjira-scrum-kanban-board-fail.png 

4 answers

0 votes

Business projects have their own, out of the box board with somewhat more limited functionality.

Scrum and Kanban boards are a feature specific of Jira Software and indeed can only be built on Software projects.

Right.  But out of the box, a business project doesn't have a board and there doesn't seem to be a way to make _any_ flavor of board.

That's not right, @Rich Ireland,

A business project (Jira Core) does have a default board out of the box, that gets created with the project and just reflects the project's workflow:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 19.09.40.png

You cannot edit it though, it does not have a backlog view and so on.

If you say a business project does not have a board, how do you define 'business project'?

Ok, here's the flow.

I have Jira Software cloud.

I created a "business project"

I attempt to create a board for this project.

Each option, "Agility", "Scrum", and "Kanban" all demand a software project.

There is no option for a business board.

So I go and install "JIRA Core"

no change.

Correct,

You cannot create a board yourself for a business project. If you just select your business project from the projects list, what is your default project view?

The screenshot I added above shows where you should find the board from the side bar. In the old layout it should look like this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 19.30.27.png

If you really want a full blown software board, you can switch your project to a software project instead (through project settings / details / select software project as type instead of business).

That would be nice.  I don't see that at all:

no-business-board.png

Ok,

You actually are at the board. Some of the reasons why you don't see your issues are these:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 19.43.42.png

Read more here and have a look at your project configuration.

Confused.  "At the board" implies that I can actually configure something.  Yet there is nowhere to go from here.

I love using Atlassian products.  Administration is a nightmare.

Hi @Rich Ireland,

The screen you are seeing IS your Jira Core (Business) Board. Normally, you should see your issues there by default, no configuration required at all.

The configuration of the project itself has something in it that prevents your issues from being shown on the board.

You cannot configure your board in a business project, but you can configure your project settings. And something there is preventing your board from showing issues.

So to fix the issue you are seeing, either:

• click project settings on the left of your screen and check whether your project is using more than 1 workflow OR has 2 transitions going to 1 status. If so, make sure you fix that.
  • convert your project to a software project as I described earlier and create any Agile Board the way you have been trying to do from there.

This is it.  The "content management" project template has an unmapped "draft" state and is, I suspect, the source of all my pain.

Now I need to figure out how to fix that.

Nope.  it's not the unmapped workflow states.

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 10, 2017

@Rich Ireland, not sure I understand what a business board is. You have the options to create a Scrum, Kanban or a recently added (cloud anyway) Agility board type. The next screen (below) gives you options for setting up the filter to be used for the board. Note I'm not using just Core so maybe there are differences that would explain you question.

If you want a board based upon a Business project then chose the 2nd or 3rd option. All this means is that you first create the business project and/or filter and then the board.

Boards_-_JIRA.png

Nope.   If you select "Board from an existing project" it will error out if you select a non-software project.

@Rich Ireland & @Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT], you are RIGHT!

It appears that this is a recent change by Atlassian. I have been creating boards based upon business projects, JSD projects and software project for a long time. They have added a new parameter to board creation called "Location" and it is that field that must refer to a software only project. So I can create a board for my business project as long as I don't have it "appear" within a business project. To be honest not sure what that even means.

So as a work around I set the Location to my TEST software project. It works fine.

So then I went back to an existing business project board and looked at the settings the Locations = my profile.

@Rich Ireland,

try to create you board selecting existing project and then set Location to "Rich Ireland". LMK if you are successful.

@Jack Brickey@Rich Ireland,

I tried too and this works indeed.

The issue is related to the new UI Atlassian is rolling out on Cloud: Boards in the new Jira experience.

@Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT], in fact I'm sure you are correct on the new UI being the cause/driver. I don' think it was nefarious but simply an unfortunate side effect. Regardless, I'm really not sure what Location actually is used for and don't care that I have to use my profile as the location. As long as I can have my boards. :-)

Interesting.  If I change the location, it gives me a useful board.

I still have the unmapped "draft" status problem, but this gives me a board.

Nope.  It's not the unmapped status.

So.  It appears that the answer is JIRA doesn't allow non-software projects to have more than one workflow on a board.  Even though JIRA Software boards already easily accommodate this.

This is sad.  I'm feeling 'monetized' today.

And after a bit more digging, this is really because the "content management" business project template has an unmapped status, "draft" - which makes the board impossible to use.

thanks for the info. have never used the that template. keep us posted.

In the end you may want to write up a clear summary as a solution so others can benefit. Too, if you are finding what you believe to be a bug then you should open a ticket w/ Atlassian.

Mapping the draft status to the 'todo' or 'in progress' states isn't enough.

I attempted to reproduce by changing the order of operations with no success.

It all boils down to having multiple workflows on the same project.

I have a personal board up for the team to use, but it's certainly less than optimal.

Suggest an answer

Stay in touch

Be the first to know what's trending on Atlassian Community