Why can't I have multiple current status conditions in an Any status transition?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2023

I have successfully used multiple reverse current status conditions to hide an Any status transition in multiple statuses, and that's useful when I want the transition available in most statuses in a workflow.

When instead I want to have an Any transition available in just a few statuses, I would like to  be able to add multiple conditions that name the current statuses I want to include; however, that seems not to be the case.

Can an automation show an Any transition in 3 statuses (desired), or if not, hide it in many statuses?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin 

You can not modify transitions using automation. 

Only conditions in the workflow would hide a status from the user depending on the condition set. 

Im not sure if I understood your scenario, but recently I had to put conditions in a global transition based on the previous status - the only way I made it work was by using status IDs instead of names when the status has a space. 

If its not your case, and you still need help please provide more info / examples, screenshots so I can help with it. 

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2023

Reading my post, I realize I may not have made it clear, but I think it was obvious to you, that the conditions I set were in the workflow statuses, and not automations.  I did state that I used the Reverse option, and I state now that I used it in 3 conditions, and that the transition for which I set the 3 conditions was from Any.

Here is one of the 3 conditions: 

The Issue's current Status must not be Starting Development. Ignore Auto-transitions (loops).  (I'm not sure of the value of using the Ignore Auto-transitions option in my 3 conditions; probably none.)

Note that the status name contains a space, as do all the statuses in my 3 conditions, but the fact that my conditions work appears to be in contradiction to your experience of needing to use status IDs.

Now to get to the scenario you were not sure you understood:

First, the background: In my experience, using the Reverse condition works, but I used the 3 conditions in a scenario in which there were only 3 statuses of many in which I did not want the transition to appear.

Now, the scenario: I have a transition from Any that I want to appear in only a few of many statuses.  I tried to set conditions for each of those few statuses, without using the Reverse option, and that didn't work.  What I didn't try (yet) is setting 20 or so conditions using the Reverse option; I assume that would work, but I want to try to find an alternative first.

Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin 

but I think it was obvious to you, that the conditions I set were in the workflow statuses, and not automations.

Im based on your question at the end 

Can an automation show an Any transition in 3 statuses (desired), or if not, hide it in many statuses?

Here is my workflow as example

image.png

For complete status, the condition (some as ID some as string, because it didnt work for all)

image.png

In this workflow, I tried the reverse order (not equal), and it didnt work - and thats why I made that way. 

Just dont forget to change to any of the following - because the other way (All) will never happen at the same time, blocking everything. 

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2023

Eureka!  I hadn't realized that the All was part of a two-option set.  Thank you! 

Like Patricia Francezi likes this

Suggest an answer