Why can't I create a sprint when one is already active?

Max Waterman (Max) July 22, 2018

I can understand not being able to *start* a sprint when one is already active, but I can't see why I can't create one.

Essentially, I want to start planning the sprint by moving issues out of the backlog into the new sprint, and creating new issues - the objective is to reduce the time taken up by planning meetings.

3 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Hello,

I am not sure I understood your question.

If you can not create a sprint, when one is already active, then you should turn on the parallel sprint feature:

Cloud

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-parallel-sprints-797737030.html

Server

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/using-parallel-sprints-938845513.html

If you can not create a sprint, when there are no sprints active, then you should hover your mouse over the create sprint button and have a look, what is written on the pop up.

Max Waterman (Max) July 23, 2018

note that I don't want to *start* another sprint...I can understand why that wouldn't be allowed, but (IMO), I should be able to *create* another one (or *delete* one, for that matter).
I don't know why I would want the 'parallel sprint' feature, since that would imply having two sprints active (ie having been started) at the same time.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Yes, you should be able to create a new sprint. Could you hover on the create sprint button and see the message there?

LOL, which 'create sprint button' would that be?

Perhaps this is a permissions thing, since I see no such button. As I mentioned below, my search results when investigating this problem suggest that it isn't possible, so if they're wrong, then it points to some configuration issue...or perhaps I am just blind (figuratively speaking).

Like Olga_Gerber likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

This permission is called Manage Sprints. You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-project-permissions-861253293.html

great, thanks

0 votes
Olivia Medina April 13, 2023

Hi guys, 

Is this question still open? I'm an org admin and I'm having the same problem. Parallels sprint option already activated. Somehow I can only start and complete my current active sprint, but I can't see an option or button to create a new sprint to plan my future weeks. Any idea why?

Cheers!   

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Hi Max,

You should be able to create a sprint even if one is active. Can you create sprints when there isn't an active one?

Carlos

Hrm, ok.

When I search for this problem, I find references that imply that what you say isn't true, and I can't create multiple sprints, even if only one is active at a time, eg:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-start-sprint-there-can-only-be-one-active-sprint-on-each-board-779160911.html

Am I missing something?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

I think you misunderstood what I was asking you. You should be able to create sprints regardless of if there is any active, I agree with Alexey that this may be related to permissions.

Max Waterman (Max) July 25, 2018

Sorry, but I didn't attempt to answer your question since I can't test it...I can't 'complete sprint' just to answer this question :)

Olga_Gerber June 6, 2019

Hi, I also have the same problem. I don't have option "Create Sprint" on my project board. I checked my permissions and I'm "Administrator" for this project. 

What is interesting that another person on this project, who has permissions "Administrator" does see option "Create Sprint" on the same project. 

She was the one, who created the project. 

Would it be true that only one Administrator can create sprint?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2019

Hi Olga,

I don't think so. Anyone with the Manage Sprint permission should be able to create the sprint. Did you check if this permission was assigned to you (or to a role/group to which you belong)?

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.59.09 PM.png

Suggest an answer