Why are users are added in Project Developer Role

Todd Palermo May 2, 2023

This has to be a setting that I have yet to find. All users that access a project are automatically added to the Developer Role for that Project. Currently I have users in a Group created in User Management and then I apply this Group to the User Role in a Project. When a user in that group accesses the Project, they are added individually to the Developer Role in that Project. Is there a setting or something to prevent this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2023

Hi Todd,

There is setting in global Project Roles where you can add groups or users as a default member for the Project Roles you want, if you have Jira admin access please check what configuration you have here and remove the setting if you want.

https://your-domain-url/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa

Capture 2023-05-10 at 19.57.57.pngCapture 2023-05-10 at 19.57.20.png

Thanks

Ravina

Todd Palermo May 12, 2023

Hello @Ravina , it appears to be empty. All of my Project Roles are empty. Is there another spot to check?

2023-05-12_09-19-21.png

Ravina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

Hi Todd,

Thanks for checking that and confirming nothing is configured there, as you mention that user individually get added to the Developer role after the group is added in User roles and project is accessed by that user, then it should get logged into the Project audit log who added that user in Developer Role, you can in Project setting and audit log and check the Project Role changed entry to get who adding those users to Developer Role and check with that user if it's bot account user then and also check if any automation rule is configured or if you using scriptrunner plugin check if any listener script is running to add any of these users to these projects roles.

Hi @Ravina Thanks for your help. You are getting warmer... I see that an internal directory account is making a change, but usually this account is for Automation and Post Functions. I also see that my account is doing this also (I am a Jira and Project admin). It seems that my account mt20080 is making a change with several every second or so sometimes. Is there another location to check to see why this is happening??  2023-05-12_14-03-50.png2023-05-12_14-05-07.png

Ravina
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2023

Hi Todd,

Looking at the frequency of the execution there must be some automation rule or script is running for this based on the condition if user is part of Users roles that is what I thought, have you check automation rules and scripts configured for this? 

Apart from this not able to get anything else in my mind right now, but will update if I get something.

Thanks

Ravina

@Ravina Your Project Log information lead me to look over the System Log at this time and I noticed that this permissions change happens when we Import a CSV. I ran a test and removed all the Developers from the Project and then import 1 record with an assignee on the import. This assignee was given Developers permissions after the import. Is this a Jira bug?

Like swasti_agarwal likes this
Like Ravina likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events