Why are there fields "Status" and "Status Category" when both contain the same thing

leewarren July 5, 2021

Backward compatibility or something?

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

They are not the same thing…

status category: to do, in progress, done (grey, blue, green)

every status must fall within one of the three categories 

stauses can be defined by the admin. Often times you will have multiple statuses for a single status category. Some examples:

• category of DONE: Done, Canceled, Rejected, Resolved…
  • category To Do: To Do, Open, New, Backlog, Waiting for Support….
leewarren July 5, 2021

Thanks for the response.

When I look at the issue screen, I see "Status" and it shows those categories: : to do, in progress, done (grey, blue, green). It does not say Status Category. So does Status default to the categoricals of Status Category?

So basically, the user can define subcategories (Status Category) of Status?

BTW, this seems incredibly simple. In my experience with another tool (Fogbugz made by the firm that also made Trello) the entire workflow could be redefined. If I understand this correctly, there wasn't any constraint like this that exists in JIRA.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

When you’re looking at the issue screen you see status. What is displayed or not status categories they are simply statuses. Now one thing that I think is probably confusing you is it just so happens in the default project that you’ve created the statuses are exactly the same as the status category. In its simplest form the project statuses fall directly into and are named the same as the status categories. In more complex projects the statuses can be quite complex.

I am not sure what you mean by the following question…

So basically, the user can define subcategories (Status Category) of Status?

Let me restate that statuses are created under one of the three categories. Put aside for the moment any confusion that might be caused by the names.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events