Why are my new issues not showing up in my Backlog or Active Scrum Board

Ryan Seeras March 22, 2023

Hi there! 

Whenever I try to add a new issue within an existing epic in my software project board, it doesn't end up showing in either my active sprint board or my backlog. 

If I try to create a brand new issue and add it to my active sprint then it shows up on the active sprint board but otherwise, it doesn't. 

I have multiple boards and this seems to work with all the other boards but not the one that I want it to.

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

I already checked my board settings and I don't have anything under the Unchecked Status column. I also don't have any special filters that would restrict any issues from showing up. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hi, @Ryan Seeras - welcome to the Community! Since you indicate that you're using sprint boards, unfortunately Riley's reference to kanban backlog is not going to help.

Can you post a screenshot of the board settings filter query section?

Hi Ester! Thank you for your help.

Are you specifically referring to the filter option in the board's setting? 

If so, I've attached it below. 

Thank you! 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 1.06.55 PM.png

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

Hi, @Ryan Seeras - as @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- mentioned, that is the Quick Filter setup. These are the quick filters:

quickFilters.png

We're looking for the board filter. Click on General in that Settings list to the left, and scroll down to this area:

filterQuery.png

Ryan Seeras March 23, 2023

Ah! I'm sorry about that. Thank you both for clarifying!!! @Esther Strom @Nic 

Below is the Filter Query: Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 10.30.13 AM.png

Below is the status column section. We do have a "Wont do" section under unmapped status but the issues that I'm creating fall under every other column (e.g., To Do, In Progress, Blocked, QA, etc). Yet, they don't get populated in the Active Sprint board.   Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 10.33.08 AM.png

Thank you both again for your help. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

@Ryan Seeras so your filter query is excluding any ticket that doesn't have the SEO component from your board. Are you selecting that component value on the tickets you're creating?

Like # people like this
Ryan Seeras March 27, 2023

Yep, this answers it. 

I've never used a board that had filters/components like this so I was unaware of how it all worked.

I was able to change the filter and I'm no longer having this issue. 

Thank you so much @Esther Strom @& @Nic 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

What is the board filter?  Is it possible that your new issues are not being selected by the board?  Also, how are the status mapped into columns?

Hey Nic, thanks for your help. 

I've shared a screenshot of the board's filter in Ester's comment below. 

Let me know if that's helpful. 

Thank you! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Those are the quick filters, not the board filter.

We need to know what the board filter is - have a look at the "general" section of the board config.

We also need to know if you have all your status mapped into columns, that's in the "columns" page.

0 votes
Riley Venable _Atlas Bench_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble adding new issues to your software project board's existing epics. One thing to check is if the Kanban backlog is enabled for the board you're having trouble with. You can follow the steps outlined in Enabling the Kanban backlog https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-columns/#Enabling-the-Kanban-backlog. Additionally, make sure that you're adding the issue to the correct epic panel for the board. If the issue still doesn't show up, you can try clearing the browser cache or using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue. If none of these solutions work, you may want to reach out to a Jira or board administrator to ensure that there are no other settings or configurations that could be causing the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events