Why are classic project templates not available for my users?

TelemaxX Telekommunikation GmbH November 12, 2018

I am a new admin in Jira and need some help.

My users who are signing up for Jira for the first time (standard jira-software users) do NOT have the possibility to add a project with a classic project template?

Why? What do I have to do?

2 answers

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

Hi Diana,

that's because a user needs to be at least a jira administrator to be able to create classic projects. And why? Because these are not "independent", they can be created with shared configurations or will create lots of schemes (=clutter) in the backend.

Best, Max

Diana Schorpp November 12, 2018

Thank you!

One more:

But what if my users should be able to add projects (classic project templates) without having all the other admin rights - is there any possibility to do that?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

Hi Diana,

no, it's not possible. As said, there is more to creating projects in Jira and this is bound to the administrator permission and this, of course, brings other responsibilities with it :) In general nobody should be able to easily create projects in a system without proper knowledge of the tool and being able to do necessary customizations in the backend. There's no sense in just creating a project and then not being able to adjust/create necessary schemes etc. in the backend :)

Best, Max

1 vote
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2018

HI @TelemaxX Telekommunikation GmbH

Welcome to the community!

For creating Classic Project Template user should have Jira Admin rights.

Please have a look at the below KB.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Classic-and-next-gen-project-templates-in-Jira-Software-Cloud/ba-p/862404

Suggest an answer