Why am I unable to change the priority of a ticket that has already been created?

Felicia Moser April 26, 2018

We currently have boards up and running. We were going through our backlog items and could not change the priority of tickets previously made. We have a test JIRA board and and we are able to change the priority arrows there. I'm new to JIRA/didn't set up our boards. What can I do to make it so that we are able to change the priorities of the ticket at any time during the sprint? 

3 answers

1 vote
alan.brady@eschergroup.com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 13, 2019

You can only edit the priority if using old JIRA view, cannot edit under new JIRA view - this is a known bug in JIRA. To change to old view do the following:

Click on your profile picture on bottom LHS of screen, then Account Settings, in JIRA labs turn off New Jira issue view. If you refresh your screen the issue will change view. You can always change it back if you no longer want to edit a priority.

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2020

This only applies to Jira Cloud, there is no option to turn off New Jira Issue View in Jira Software.

Erik Peterson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 22, 2021

Good job Atlassian!

Like Aryan Abraham likes this
Serge DUDNIC April 12, 2023

is it solved by now, in 2023?

Like # people like this
Aaron Wasserman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 14, 2023

Looks like this is still the case, a user who is a project administrator cannot edit the priority field in the JSM board.

Like Jacob J likes this
0 votes
Pieter Wouter Hartog
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2024

I had this same issue, and in my case it was because the Priority field was not added to the screen in question (even though it showed up anyway). Go to Settings -> Issues -> Screens. Pick the screen name and add it.

Or, a quicker way to add multiple screens to that field: go to Settings -> Issues -> Field Configurations. Select the field config that applies to your project. filter for the Priority field, Click on 'Screens'. Then you can put a checkbox for every screen you want the priority field to be editable.

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2018

Dear @Felicia Moser,

if you mean the field called "Priority" you can edit it at any time as long as you have the permission to "Edit Issues" and this field is configured to be visible on the "Edit Screen" of your issues.

If you mean rank, than you can change it just by moving the issues up and down (drag&drop) within your backlog.

So long

Thomas

Felicia Moser April 26, 2018

Not sure if I'm following you. I'm talking about the priority arrows, they are either (High, Medium, Low). Once a ticket has been made I'm not able to change the priority. 

Alexander Regler April 27, 2018

Hi @Felicia Moser,

maybe some screenshots would be helpful.

Cheers

Alexander

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2018

Dear @Felicia Moser,

the priority arrows are just icons that stand for the priority High, Medium, ... etc. In the end "priority" is a issue field to store information. To alter its value, you need the permission "edit issue".

Can you open any issue in full screen and then hit the "Edit" button? Are you able to see the Priority? Can you change it?

so long

Thomas

Suggest an answer