Why am I seeing a status from Any, without a transition?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Why is a status from Any to another status appearing in the transition/status dropdown without a transition?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Please show us what you are seeing, and also show us the workflow diagram.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

I also noticed that:

1) The statuses in which the transition was missing from the drop-down are those that occur after the transition that goes to the status triggered an automation that creates a sub-task.

2) In addition to the missing Withdraw transition, a Request Additional Tasks transition (from Any to itself) is missing.

Status in which both transitions appear:

next transition 3-23.jpg

Status in which both transitions are missing, after sub-task was created by automation triggered by the transition that goes to the status:

no withdraw and no request additional tasks.jpg

Withdraw transition conditions--these do not affect the status shown above:

withdraw conditions 3-23.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

You've marked the Answer thread as accepted, but I'm unclear if your problem has been solved.

I am also still unclear on what the problem actually is.

If you still need help with this topic please show

- the workflow diagram for the issue type where you say that the selectable statuses are not correct. You should be able to click on the View Workflow option shown in the Status dropdown.

- clearly state what is missing that you think should be present in the Status drop down.

- clearly state what is present that you think should not be present in the Status drop down.

- for each of the above two items show the Conditions in the workflow transition between the issue's current status (Waiting for PA Tasks?) and the specified destination Status.

---

Based on the images you provided in your last response, one item that I would recommend against is using Conditions in your workflow to limit the transition based on the FROM status of the issue. If you don't want to allow issues in the Dev Issue Rejected status to transition to the specified status then don't use a Global transition to the specified status (an ANY ->  SPECIFIED STATUS transition).

Instead you should set up transition(s) only between the acceptable FROM statuses to the specified status.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2023

Thank you, and thank you for your patience.

I've been treating Accept Answer sometimes as: "Accept the answer partially even though my question is not resolved".  I apologize for any confusion, and will restrict accepted answers to resolved issues.

The only reason I showed the transition conditions was to show that there were none involving the statuses in question.  These conditions are working.

I have found the trigger for the problem, but I still would like to find a solution:

There are two transitions from each of the statuses that are affected:

1) [BA, MO, PA, PR] Tasks Completed

2) Withdraw Dev Issue

The first transition above has a condition: Only users in group administrators can execute this transition.  When I remove the condition, the Withdraw Dev Issue transition is displayed in the status drop-down.

The screen shots below illustrate the problem, but are not necessary to view if you understand the above explanation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen shot of the workflow showing two statuses: The first status displays the "Withdraw Dev "Issue" transition in the issue view status drop-down; the second does not.

relevant statuses.jpg

As shown below, in the Selecting MO Tasks user view, the "Withdraw Dev Issue" transition button is shown paired with its target status in the status drop-down:

status showing transitions.jpg

When the user clicks Request MO Tasks > Waiting for MO Tasks, and the status changes to Waiting for MO Tasks, transition "Withdraw Dev Issue", is not displayed; only its target status, "Selecting Withdraw Tasks", is displayed.

missing transition.jpg

When I assign myself to an Administrators group in order to be able to view the afore-mentioned transition hidden by a condition, or if I remove the condition that hides that transition, I am able to see the "Withdraw Dev Issue" transition.  Note that non-Admin users will still not be able to see the transition in the drop-down.

view after joining Administators group.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2023

When an issue is in Status A, and all the available Statuses to which it can change traverse Global Transitions (ANY --> destination status), then the drop down will show only the destination status names. That is what you see here.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.37.08 AM.png

When an issue is in Status A, and one or more of the available Statuses to which it can change traverses a non-Global Transition, then you will see the Transition Name and Destination Status for all available status options. That is what you see here.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.35.00 AM.png

Like Phil Bustin likes this
Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2023

Thanks.  All done here, I think. :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events