Why I'm not able to turn off 'Jira Service Desk' access for Trusted users

Arthur Golovan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 17, 2019

1. Open any user account with Trusted role and try to turn off 'Jira Service desk' access.

2. The switcher is disabled.

Workaround: Switch role of user to 'Basic' and 'Jira Service desk' switcher will be enabled after that.

2 answers

3 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2019

Hello Arthur,

Thank you for raising this question. This is a very important piece of information that must be clear when configuring your JIRA instance.

As you can see in the description of the Trusted users role, they can update the product Settings, Add new projects and invite basic users.

That been said, it does not make sense to remove the product access of a trusted user if they are able to give this same access to themselves again in the product settings page.

You can check a longer description for the Trusted user groups in this documentation:

The users in this group have the Trusted role.

• In Jira products:

• the 'Jira Administrators' global permissions.

• a member of the 'Administrators' project role, which allows members to edit project versions and manage project content (delete issues, comments, manage watchers).

• In Confluence:

• the 'Confluence Administrator' global permissions.

• product user permissions.

• the ability to invite users.

This group is not visible on the Groups page of your site. Users get added to this group when you set their role via the Role selector on the Invite users page or the user details page. This group is visible from the Jira and Confluence global permissions.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

joshw
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2020

I am running into this same issue and I hear what you are saying, but it isn't like this for admins, only trusted users. 

Like Leroy Heritage likes this
Andrzej
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 10, 2020

This is inconsistent, as site and org admins can have 'Jira Service desk' turned off.

This is a billing question - not all admins use and need to manage Jira Service desk - why would I wan't to pay for license if it will not be used?

Tim Pokorny January 23, 2022

I am having the same problem at the moment. I've exchanged emails with support and it looks like the simple answer is that any trusted user MUST consume a license for ALL products in your account. We have support people who just create/delete accounts but don't actually use the products, so if we want to use Jira Service Management we will have to pay an additional license cost for every single one of them, even though none of them will ever access the product.

2 votes
Arthur Golovan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 9, 2020

The main question how can I decrease the number of users for Service desk if a lot of users don't use it actually but I need to share them some privileges of trusted users. 

Scott Coleman October 4, 2021

I need to know this as well. 

We have the free version of Service management (3 users max)

The problem is that when we add trusted users they are automatically added to service management. Somehow we got 50 users that have service management access. So I can't add any more trusted users because I get the message that only 3 are allowed

Suggest an answer