Why I can't see bugs in my sprint?

Elisa Cartolano May 24, 2021

Hi guys,

I have a problem in displaying the issues (bugs) in the current sprint

The steps i've done are the following:

From the Board view --> Board Settings --> General

Here I've set the query

project = FZ AND issuetype in (Story, Task, Epic, Bug) and sprint in openSprints() ORDER BY Rank ASC

Every time I need a bug to get fix in the current sprint, I compile the dedicated field (Sprint) of the ticket.

Why I can't see these bugs in my actual sprint?

Thank you for your time and your help

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2021

@Elisa Cartolano 

The reason why they do not show up in the current sprint is because a Sprint is a committed piece of activity agreed at the start of each sprint period. You can include those bugs that already exist at the start of a Sprint but any new ones will automatically go in to the backlog for a future sprint. 

Whilst you can just bring new bugs in to the current sprint, this would be altering the scope and would mean the commitment to deliver the agreed scope would no longer hold true. 

If you want to continuously work on the highest priority item (bugs, stories, tasks) then it is possible that a Kanban approach rather than Scrum would suit your team better?

I would suggest that if you continue with the Scrum approach you should consider removing an item of similar complexity (that has not yet been started) every time you add a bug in to the current sprint. This will allow you to retain a proximity to that Sprint Commitment that was made by the team at the start of the sprint. 

Phill 

Elisa Cartolano May 24, 2021

Thank you Phill!

Yes, I know this approach is more Kanban, but was an exception for project needs, just for one sprint :D

Anyway, I can't find those bugs even in the backlog, but now I understand why they don't automatically show up in the current sprint.

Thanks for your precious help!

Suggest an answer