Who changed the status?

Bud Herz March 17, 2021

Ok I see a few different places Jira offers 'Time in Status' and also JQL things about 'updatedBy' to see who last changed it. My head is swimming with query lingo and I'm not sure if I've confused myself to not see the forest through the trees or if this truly is as complicated as I think it is right now. 

Our current workflow also has people only assign work while they are actually working on the task. This means I can only associate an assignee during the In Progress status, but I need historical across the lifespan of a project. 

My challenge - 

How to create & track in a JQL filter,

• Who moved a task to In Progress
  • How long it was there In Progress
  • Who moved it out of In Progress
  • Where it moved to

I believe with these answers I could figure out for a dashboard, 

• Who took on the work
  • How long it took to do the work
  • How much work they are getting done
  • How much work might pass or fail review

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2021

Hi @Bud Herz 

Yes, if you haven`t enough time to build automation rules or REST API, you can try apps from the Atlassian marketplace. For example, my team SaaSJet developed the list of apps that can help you:

• Issue History lets you view the full issues changelog, including status changes. So you can view who and when changed issue statuses.
  • Time in status for Jira Cloud automatically calculates the time each issue spent in each stage of the workflow. Also, this add-on show date and time of each status entrance. All reports you can add to Jira Dashboard.
  • Dynamic Filters: JQL Replacer allows to create filters without JQL knowledge and show data about selected issues on Jira Dashboard.

I hope you will find the best solutions for your needs.

Regards

Bud Herz March 18, 2021

Oh wow Zoryana,

Those links are great thank you. I will investigate them more today!

Bud Herz March 19, 2021

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_  thanks again for these links. I'm working with Time In Status for the weekend. It looks like it's just what the doctor ordered. 

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2021

Hello @Bud Herz ,

For a ready built solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations and counts grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average number of InProgress transitions per issuetype). 

Something particularly useful for you is the Status by Assignee and Assignee by Status reports. These reports show status times broken down to assignees or assignee times broken down to statuses.

Time in Status can display all its reports and charts in it own reporting page, in dashboard gadgets and in a tab on issue view screens. Below are some samples:

tisCloud_StatusDurationByAssignee_List.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.pngtisCloud_IssueView_Data.png

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png  Gadget_AverageStatusDuration_Chart.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Bud Herz March 31, 2021

Thanks Emre, but I am already working with a different Time in Status tool - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219732/

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
March 31, 2021

Hi @Bud Herz ,

As an alternative, you can try Status Time app developed by our team at Bloompeak. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

Bud Herz March 31, 2021

Much appreciated Bloomspeak Support. We've found our solution using Time in Status

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Hi @Bud Herz 

Sorry to be the bearer of unhelpful news...For the good questions you are asking, most of the information is in the change logs for issues.  However with out-of-the-box Jira features that info cannot be easily queried.  There are marketplace add-ons for JQL, status analysis, and dashboards which make such investigation easier.

For non-purchase options, you can build some reporting yourself using custom fields and automation rules, or by calling the REST API.  For example, recording and preserving who moved issues into progress, how long they were there, etc.  Even after doing that, you might need dashboard add-ons to adequately report the data.

Best regards, 

Bill

Bud Herz March 18, 2021

Thanks Bill, 

I was considering custom fields, but haven't checked out the REST approach. I'll take a look. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events