Who can Simplify a Workflow through the board?

Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi September 18, 2018

Hi, according to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/using-the-simplified-workflow-938845286.html, it mentions that "You must be a Jira administrator or a board administrator for the board to switch it to the Simplified Workflow." for Jira Server 7.12

I am using Jira Server 7.12 and am trying to Simplify the workflow.  I keep getting this message with does not able me to Simplify the workflow. "Simplify the workflow for project PROJECT TO TEST IMPORTS to make it managed by Jira Software. 
Contact an administrator to perform this action." 

I tried giving my self board admin permissions, project admin permissions, and both. I still cannot simplify the workflow. When i make myself a Jira Admin, then yes i can simplify the workflow. Thus is " "You must be a Jira administrator or a board administrator" still true?

It seems a board admin cannot simplify the workflow anymore. Thanks for your help.

3 answers

1 vote
Dave Norton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hi Folks!

Doing some checking on this behaviour, it looks like this is a bug in Jira Software - as it stands at the moment, you must be an administrator as Marcela mentioned earlier.

Please watch and vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-19970!

Cheers,
Dave
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2018

Did you find an answer , I have the same questions. it's seems the docs are innacurate. Just being JIRA Admin the Switch to simplified is being enabled.

Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi November 1, 2018

Hi Marcela, until now i am quite certain that you need to be a Jira Admin or Jira Admin + Board admin to simplify the board. Just being a board admin won't allow you too.

True, the docs are inaccurate.

Thanks.

0 votes
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2018

Hi @Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi,

What option did you choose when you created the board? Also, what is your end goal? Why are you trying to change it to a simplified workflow?

Hi @Mary Ramirez

I created this board for fun as i am currently learning for my ACP-600 Jira Exam.

I Created a scrum board, board from an existing project. No end goal just testing what permissions are required to change it to a simplified workflow.  It seems as a board admin i cannot simplify it. As a Jira Admin i can click and it will Simplify the Workflow. This is contradicting to the confluence link that states ""You must be a Jira administrator or a board administrator"

Thanks!

Like Marcela Junyent likes this
Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

Got it! I myself am studying for ACP 600. Good luck!

Thanks Mary, do you have any sample questions to share? Other than the ones in the Learning portal of course. 

Suggest an answer