Which field in Card Layout would sum up all story points belonging to an epic?

Liza Vul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2021

I want to sum up the story points of all tasks which belong to an epic on the epic card. For this I went to board settings > card layout > field name, however I am struggling to understand which field in this extensive list will be able to do this for me. I also can't find a breakdown of the fields anywhere to assist me. Does anyone know which field could help me to do this, or where I could find a guide on the fields?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2021

Hello @Liza Vul 

Welcome to the community.

There is not a field in the Epics that holds the sum of the child stories' Story Points. The information is calculated dynamically for display in the Epics Pane in the Backlog screen, but is not recorded in a field.

If you want to display that information on cards in your board for Epics, you would need to create a custom field for that, add that field to your Epic issue type screens, and then use something like an Automation Rule to actually calculate the value each time the Story Points on a child issue changed. There are several posts in this community about summing up story points from child issues to their parent Epic.

Alternately it might be possible that this would be done automatically by a third party app, but I have not researched to find such an app.

Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2021

Hi, 

we have a solution for the Server Cards by Epic Sum Up (our plugin) and a field that summarizes all child values e.g. Story Points. Looks like this:

2021-11-23 07_17_21-Window.png

On Cloud we can "only" do this:

screenshot-aptis.atlassian.net-2021.11.23-07_23_05.png

Its not directly been visible, but with another clik on each epic you can see the Story point summary.. 
Hope that helps..

Suggest an answer