Which Auth method works in POSTMAN rest API call?

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Hi Guys,

I am new to JIRA Cloud. Need one help. I am trying to run API Call in postman, but I am not sure which Authentication works in JIRA Cloud. I tried Basic Authentication, but this method is deprecated. Then I tried to generate API token but in Postman under API token it's asking for key and value. I am not sure where I need to put API token in key or in Value which generated from my Atlassian account. Kindly suggest, how can run API call in postman. 

Thanks

V.Y

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Vikrant Yadav ,

Welcome to the future and to Cloud! I'm sure you'll find that it's great.

As you might have already noticed, REST Authentication works slightly different with Jira Cloud. I'll try to give you the TL;DR version, but if you need me to go into more detail, just let me know.

Basic Auth & API Tokens

Technically, you are still using HTTP Basic Auth in Jira Cloud. However, you do not use your account's normal password, but rather the API token you generated (docs).

Two things are important to know here. First, your API token serves as a magic password for REST APIs that you can revoke anytime. This allows you to create a token for a specific script and then revoke that token when that script is being retired – think of it as an extra security measure.

Second, your API tokens are tied to your user account, not to a specific cloud instance. This is great if you happen to have access to a lot instances and need scripts that can interact with all of them. If you want to authenticate a script only for a single instance, we have this app on the marketplace.

Postman

From what you wrote, you are almost ready-to-go in Postman. You can just use Basic Auth with your Atlassian account's email as the username and the API token you created as a password. And that's it.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-12 um 11.55.32.png

The API Key option in Postman works differently – it adds headers to your request which is not want you need here.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Thanks a lot, @Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_   Used API token in Password and it works for me. Great  :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events