Whether exporting user's Display Name violates GDPR compliance ?

Sanjeev Pande
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

We have a use case where we would like to export the user's full Display name in a file. Say created by, assignee etc.

Does exporting the user's full name violate the GDPR compliance ?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

The changes were introduced with the changes mentioned here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/gdpr-changes-to-usernames-in-jira-cloud-967319102.html

You can learn more about Atlassian's GDPR commitment here:
https://www.atlassian.com/trust/privacy/gdpr

From Jira view I'd agree to Jack - it should be okay like it is handled but in case to double check it might make sense to speak to your legal/privacy department or anybody else you are about to be collaborating with (a customer maybe?) using Jira what is their opinion about it.

Please also refer to following pages for further information:

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2021

One addition: the changes are affecting usernames, not display names - but you are about to export full names. From a XML export I could recognize the reporter's account id is also cryptic but the display name is provided clear text - same like in CSV exports.

<reporter accountid="5f3bbf473579070038a1e648">John Doe</reporter>

Sorry for mixing things up earlier - GDPR was never easy :)

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

I am not a GDPR expert but I believe so. In fact if you export assignee for instance then you will get the cryptic account id not the user’s name. Please let me know if you experience something different. 

Sanjeev Pande
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

I exported a Jira issue in xml format. I could see my display name exported in the file.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

Interesting. I have never exported in xml. I may play with this later today. Since Jira is supposed to be GDPR compliant then maybe it isn’t a problem. 

Suggest an answer