Where is the Capabilities Field in the Export?

Christopher Witte April 7, 2023

When I export User Stories out of Jira Align I see fields for Epic Name, Epic #, Feature Name and # and User Story Name and Number. But I do not see any reference to Capabilities fields. And If I go to the Capabilities section in Align, there is no Export function.  Export only seems to be allowed at the Features and User Story level, not at the Epic or Capability level.

I know I must be missing something simple, because there is no way that Atlassian would just leave out the Capability part of the User Story hierarchy in the export after all of these years.

Also, even though Align stores the Jira data synched through the connector, none of that comes out in the export either.

1 answer

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Christopher Witte ,

Welcome to the Community! Can you please attach a screenshot? I'm checking with my instance of Jira Align but I'm not using capabilities. According to this page, you should be able to export capabilities: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005998387-10X-Export-Objects-to-Excel

Christopher Witte April 10, 2023

Capabilities.jpg

Here is the Capabilities screen. There is no export option under More Actions like there is for Features and User Stories. And when you export user stories, there are columns for Epic and Feature names and numbers. But there is no information about Capabilities.

Christopher Witte April 12, 2023

So we have had almost a dozen people trying to figure out any way to get the Capabilities info to export.  Again, there is no export option on the Capabilities page.  And both the Features and Stories exports have no Capabilities fields, but do have Epics and even Themes info. The export functionality is basically worthless if we cannot follow our stories up the hierarchy ladder. We cannot bridge Features to the Epics and Themes with Capabilities missing in the middle.  This seems like a huge oversight that has been absent for years in Align. Why would you leave out Capabilities? 

Christopher Witte April 12, 2023

And just FYI, the article in the link above is simply wrong. While the export does create a blank "Capabilities" tab in the Excel file, it does not populate any data. Try it out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events