Where are the actual start date and actual end date recorded?

cafecorridor January 3, 2022

Say, as part of the basic roadmap planning, I create a user story which I want to start on 3/1/22 and end on 10/1/22. So, I set the start date and due date fields to 3/1/22 and 10/1/22 for that particular user story. 

I create a 1 week sprint on 6/1/22 and add the user story to it. Then I start the sprint. The user story status is changed from 'TO DO' to 'IN PROGRESS' on 6/1/22 and from 'IN PROGRESS' to 'DONE' on 12/1/22. I then close the sprint on 13/1/22 since it was a 1 week sprint. 

My question is - 

1. I want to now see the actual start date (6/1/22) and actual end date (12/1/22) for the user story. In which fields are these dates recorded? 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

The status changes are recorded in the history of the issue, and the sprint start/end in the sprint data

Thank you so much for your response @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
Based on my understanding, the date fields are basically custom fields and we can fill them with any data as per the team's convenience. For example - 

I can populate the 'start date' and 'due date' with the timestamp when the issue is supposed to start and end. I can populate the 'actual start date' and 'actual end date' fields with the timestamp from the history of the issue. 

Is my understanding correct here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

If you add custom date fields to the issues, yes, you can.  You'll need to look at automation or scripting to get them populated.

Like cafecorridor likes this
3 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2022

Hi @cafecorridor 

I'd like to suggest some solutions.

1. As was already mentioned, you can look in the Activity section for the history of status updates.

2021-10-21_16-44-05.png

2. If you'd like to see a general list of updated issues, you can check out the Issue History add-on.  My team has developed it to get a full changelog for the selected issues.

2022-01-04_11-52-58.png

3. Another solution from SaaSJet that might be helpful is the Status Entrance Date. It's available with Time in Status for Jira Cloud.

2019-08-28_13-46-37.png

Let me know if it helps.

cafecorridor January 4, 2022

Thank you @Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_ for sharing the add-ons. Right now, as a beginner, I want to first get comfortable with Jira as it is. Experimenting with various plugins and add-ons will follow soon and I'll definitely check out your product then. Thanks again for the response.

Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2022

Welcome to Jira and wishing you to find the best solution for you.

Like cafecorridor likes this
1 vote
Zulfiqar Bin Zafar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

Hello @cafecorridor ,

You can see the actual start date and end date in 3 ways:

1. In the user story you can see the login in and logging off, it is basically telling you when the developer started working on the issue and when the issue is completed.
  2. Secondly, when you click on the user story you can see user stories properties and on the right hand you can see the Start date and end date. 
  3. Thirdly, when you open the user story you can click on the history tab where you can see when the issue started and when the issue completed with actual date and time.

Thanks & Regards,
Zulfiqar Bin Zafar

Thank you so much for your response @Zulfiqar Bin Zafar 

1. I didn't get this. How do we see the login and logging off?

2. But start date and due date are custom fields which I'm filling with dates when the work should start and when the work should end. Am I missing something here? I couldn't find the end date field as well.

3. Yes, this is one way. Thanks. 

Like Zulfiqar Bin Zafar likes this
0 votes

FYI. One other place where one can see the actual start and end dates is in the roadmap. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Suggest an answer