When trying to delete columns I am receiving an error

Alexander Webster February 7, 2021

On my board https://healiosuk.atlassian.net/jira/software/projects/PAN/boards/4

If I try to delete or remove a column I am receiving the following error from JIRA;

"Something's gone wrong. An error occurred our end. Refresh the page and try again."

Unfortunately this is a persistent problem that is not going away.

Please advise.

Regards

Alex

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi Alexander - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you provide some more details please - what type of Project and Board is it? Can you share a screenshot of the board? We do not have access to your actual board - nor should you post links to your site.  :-)

And how are you trying to delete the column?

Alexander Webster February 8, 2021

Many thanks John, good to be here :)

It's a pretty standard scrum board for software development. I'm attempting to clean it up after taking it over from a previous PM.

I'm trying to delete by pressing the three dots to the right of the column header 'BUG'.

JIRA error.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Try clicking on the 3 dots menu on the top right of the board and select Manage workflow. Then when you get to the workflow, just delete that Status. 

Many thanks for the quick response John - It did look like that was going to work but then I was prompter to move tickets and got the following error.Screenshot 2021-02-08 155713.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

So it looks like there are cards in the Bug status that need to move to another status before you can delete that status. And it doesn't like the move for some reason.

Here's what I would try next, run a filter that looks like this:

Project = Panacea and Status = Bug

Then see if you can either open each card and change that status or do a bulk edit and move to another status. 

You need to get all of the cards out of the Bug status on that project before you can delete the status. 

That's the impression I got but it prompts you to move the tickets to another column - which when done, still causes the error.

I'm conscious as well that you can't change the column title (eg. 'BUG' to 'BUG 2').

Nevertheless, I've tried it and assuming I've done it correctly it still hasn't worked.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 164044.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

That's strange because you don't even have anything in that status. Is there some automation perhaps that uses that status? That's the only other thing I can think of. 

You probably should go ahead and submit a support ticket with Atlassian here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post back here what the solution was. 

Thanks for your assistance, John. I'll let you know.

Alex

Like John Funk likes this
Alexander Webster February 9, 2021

Post deleted - no longer relevant

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2021

Just curious why it is no longer relevant. Did you get an answer?

Alexander Webster February 9, 2021

Oh, just my last post wasn't relevant. I thought I had hit a dead end due to not having a license. Turns out we do. 

We tend to use free versions of applications a lot here!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events