When to use swimlanes, card layout or quick filters

Cristina - Elena Andrei May 13, 2023

Hello,

I would like to know and maybe have some examples  when it;s ok to use swimlanes, quick filters , card layout, boar filter and board sub filter.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2023

hi @Cristina - Elena Andrei 

i always prefer to answer according to the user story or the expectation for the final usage.

I will answer this time assuming that you are just trying to make sense of each component to see how it can be useful within your context.

Board Filter: This is the base of your board where you define the scope of the data that will exist on the board. 

Example: If you are PM for example you may need to get all issues for one or more project. if your are a product manager you may need to get all issues for one or more product. it all depends on your role scope.

Board Sub-filter: exist only in Kanban board Configuration and can be used in various ways to improve and support your board Filter without affecting it as board filters are normal filters that can be in other places like dashboards.

Example hiding completed issue older than 1 or 2 month.

Card Layout: here you have the option to add 3 extra fields of your Choice to the issue card on the board view. This can help quickly understand the issue at the first glance before going further in details.

Example  adding component field and Due Date to the Card Layout

Swimlane: used on board view for grouping issues per Epics/assignee/etc easily and natively or by custom criteria which could require more effort in many cases as you will need to configure a query for each lane. it is a way of organizing your work for better management and follow-ups.

Example group issues on board per Epic (Native) or per Priority (custom Query)

Quick Filter: used on board view on the top to provide a way to filter the board issues on-demand according to a predefined critera

Example having quick filter per each priority; High, low and Medium.

Good Luck and let me know if you have specific need for making your board setup.

Cheers,

Karim

Cristina - Elena Andrei May 14, 2023

Thank you for your answer @Karim ABO HASHISH 

Like Karim ABO HASHISH likes this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2023

You are most welcomed @Cristina - Elena Andrei 

Suggest an answer