When are the workflow triggers for branches going to deprecate?

paula_mamdouh February 13, 2021

When I edit a workflow, I can see a warning message when adding a new trigger that says: "This trigger will be deprecated soon. We recommend using triggers in Automation for Jira as an alternative."

I can't find any information about what that is going to take place. Does anyone know a certain date?

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 6.43.11 PM.png

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
paula_mamdouh February 15, 2021

After contacting support, they said they will visit the decision at least three quarters from now, but no fixed deadline yet.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

:-(

Thanks for the update!

Andy May 28, 2021

I don't know if this helps, but I couldn't find a duplicate anywhere. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21611

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2021

Hi Paula,

I don't know when it is going to be deprecated, but why not go ahead and start setting up that functionality in Automation for Jira? 

Here is another post that might be somewhat related though it doesn't answer your question.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Automation-When-a-branch-is-created-move-to-In-Progress-and/qaq-p/1565259

What development/code repository tool are you using? 

paula_mamdouh February 13, 2021

@John Funk I know how to configure it. Thanks for the documentation link.

The reason why I prefer workflows is that they apply globally across all of our projects. Automations have a real problem with usage limitations.

• Using "Single-Project" automations will be painful every time a new project starts. However, using workflows, I can assign the same workflow to all new projects, and triggers already apply (we use classic projects for that exact reason "unifying configuration")
  • Using "Multi-Project" or "Global" automations is not realistic at all considering the very low monthly limit you provide. We can consume more than the monthly limit in less than a day with our current automation rules! 

Let's assume we're a team of 20 developers, where each developer produces per day 3 branch creation events, 3 pull request events, and 3 pull request merge events. This totals to 180 automation executions per day for only syncing Jira issues status with branches status. Imaging how many automations do we need to cover all of our automation rules that are not related to code branches.

In this case here (which I believe is a global one), you're enforcing our small team to go premium, by reducing what the standard plan provides so far, which is totally non-sense! Having global workflows is the key factor we're relying on Jira and classic projects, and enforcing manual configuration per project is a very bad idea.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2021

Understood and very valid reasons.

I would go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian to identify their intentions and a date.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Darryl Lee likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events