When a story has multiple sub tasks transition parent

PATRICIA MURPHY January 13, 2022

Need the story status to transition..

If the story has 3 sub tasks

1 is to do

1 is in progress

1 is done

In this scenario the status of the parent should be in progress until all of the sub tasks are done.

The popular automation templates I found moves the parent to done

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/1357125

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/140671

I think I need if/then added to the template but not sure exactly how to do this.

I am pretty sure someone has already set up an automation to do this.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

I think what you are wanting is to have the Parent task moved to In progress when the first subtask moves to In progress. The parent task stays in the In progress status until the last subtask moves to done at which point the parent task also moved to done. 

Let me first refer you to this post - How-do-I-automatically-trigger-a-status-change-on-a-parent-issue 

If you have a rule that you are working on please share it here and I can help assess where it might be stuck.

Thank you for helping

The link you provided isn't working for me

You are correct I do want to have the Parent task moved to In progress when the first subtask moves to In progress. The parent task stays in the In progress status until the last subtask moves to done at which point the parent task also moved to done. 

Attached is what I made and it moves the parent to done when 1 of 3 subtasks are done.

transition rule.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @PATRICIA MURPHY 

Adding to what Jack suggests and your question, the two example rules you note will do exactly what you requested.  What part is missing for you need?

You would only need the if/else rule component when you want to combine these and perform the operation in one rule.

Kind regards,
Bill

@Bill Sheboy @Jack Brickey 

Hi

The rule I made moves the parent to done when only 1 of 3 of the sub tasks are done.

I want the parent to stay in progress until all 3 sub tasks are done.

Is there something in the rule or an issue scheme or post transition function I need to implement to achieve the results I am wanting?

Thank you for your help

Pat

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

I have corrected the link above. Oddly I cannot get back to that blog so I gave you a different source to solve your goal. Also yo might find this video useful - https://youtu.be/DcPYrw-Puus 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Patricia, in the second rule you reference...

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/140671/25000987

Please note there is a related issues condition.  That is what checks that all of the subtasks are done before moving the parent to done.

Like PATRICIA MURPHY likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

@PATRICIA MURPHY , yes as shown that is exactly what I would expect your rule would do, there is no condition checking if all subtasks are in Done. Can you review the new link I sent and video?

Like PATRICIA MURPHY likes this
PATRICIA MURPHY January 22, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy @Jack Brickey 

I created and enabled 3 rules in my project.

1. Update the parent status to in progress when any sub-task transitions to in-progress.

2. Update the parent to complete when all sub-tasks are complete.

3. Update all sub-tasks to Accepted when the parent "Story" is Accepted.

This seems to be working for my use cases.

Thank you for your guidance.Automation help request.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2022

Awesome! You are now an automation guru!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Marcelo Cid _Antiguo_ May 7, 2022

@JAC 

Hi Jack, I have a question.

I have two types of subtask categories (blocks and defect). I want to make an automation that when all the blocking subtasks are finished (regardless of whether there is a default subtask in the backlog, in progress or done state) the history moves to in progress.

PRATHYUSHA DONTHULA January 18, 2024

Hi Jack,

Here i need automation in different way. 

Example: I have standard issue type as "Observation" and Subtask issue type as "Management Action Plan" when users create ticket with "Observation" and if that issue has 3 subtasks containing different status like "Inprogress" ,"In review", "Implemented" then parent issue should consider the least status that is "Inprogress" as the status and update in the parent issue status.

Could you please suggest me the automation rule.

Thanks,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2024

@PRATHYUSHA DONTHULA ,

please open a new question for your use case.

Suggest an answer