What's the difference between these boards? Need simple, but customized

Joshua Hunt January 21, 2019

Just learning Jira Cloud:

Some new boards just show the title and predefined filters - very clean, but I can't see how to configure the filters, swimlanes, etc.great, but how to configure_.png(simple, great for a non-technical team, but how to configure?)

Some other new boards have "Kanban board" above them, and "releases". I can configure, but it's a wreck of a UI for the execs and non-technical teams we're building them for. They think Jira is a dev tool only, and this makes it looks that way. 

creative team will hate this.png

How can I get the cleaner experience, but keep the features? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

Your users need to decide whether they want the power of Kanban (or Scrum) boards which come with the complexity to support that power, or the more simplified boards which do not have as much power and hence less complexity.

Joshua Hunt January 21, 2019

Thanks - I'd like to present them with a simplified board, but I can't see how to configure their experience (filters, etc.) Could you tell me how?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

The simpler next-gen boards don't have much configuration - you choose the functions you want to enable and that's it.

Joshua Hunt January 22, 2019

Could I ask a couple beginner questions?

1. Can you add multiple, simple boards to a Kanban project, and still have a Kanban board?

2. How do you configure the simple boards?

We're trying to keep everyone in one project/workflow, but give them simple boards to track their work.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2019

You don't add the "Classic" boards to projects (Scrum or Kanban) - they have filters that select issues from projects. Often, you'll find a filter is 1:1, as in "Project = XYZ", but a lot are not.  There's a  lot of configuration actions you can take with these with filters, swimlanes, column limits, etc.   You can have many of these as you need.

The simple "next gen" boards are tied to their projects (so there are "next gen projects" as well as boards).  They are configured as part of the project and are currently limited to some "on/off" functions - you go to the project settings and choose if you want backlogs, sprints, reports, and estimation on them.

Joshua Hunt January 22, 2019

Thanks, that makes sense. I appreciate it.

You wouldn't know how to hide "Kanban board" from the title of those boards, would you?

Suggest an answer