What's the difference between an inactive user and a suspended user?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hi.  Managing users and I've discovered there are inactive users and there are suspended users, in addition to the active users.  I've discovered that I can suspend users and I can remove users, but I don't see how to mark a user inactive.

What I'd really like to know is what is different between an inactive and a suspended user, and is there some way for me to mark a user inactive?  Is there a benefit to having truly inactive users marked Inactive versus Suspended?  Ultimately - once I'm convinced they are gone for good - I will remove them... but I'm trying to take a measured approach to user management, and I don't think I know enough about the states and how they are reached.  Can anyone shed any light on this subject, or point me to some documentation?  Many thanks in advance...

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hey Randy,

I suspect they mean the same thing, no matter which term you are actually seeing. It basically means the user does not have access to the Site and it not considered active for billing purposes. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jose Luis Gaitan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Hello, @Randy O_Neal . 

You have to remove a user if you don't want them to appear on your site. Removing a user from one site, doesn’t remove them from your organization or other sites you manage. If you want to do it, you need to deactivate that user.

I enclose some links with more information about it:

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/deactivate-a-managed-account/

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/remove-or-suspend-a-user/

I hope this can be useful for you.

1 vote
Johnny Hermann May 15, 2023

One reason not to fully delete suspended/deactivated users is the historical record of that user's account within the tools, e.g., assignment to issues, @mentions, issue history, etc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events