What's the best way to track individual developer story point completion?

Vikrant Nallaparaju June 14, 2022

My company's executive level team is trying to get a better idea of team member productivity and we want to measure each developer's story point completion each month. I am looking at the Gadgets available to me on the Dashboard and was having trouble narrowing down which would be the best choice for my goal.

I am thinking it could be something where the X Axis is months, Y Axis is story points, and individual lines for each developers' change per month. What Gadget would be the best choice here? Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

That's not what Story points are for, and it's a bad practice to measure individual performance (in fact, illegal in some places).  Jira doesn't support reporting like that.

Vikrant Nallaparaju June 15, 2022

Totally understand the ethicality concerns, but is it not feasible from technical level at all from what JIRA reporting currently offers? 

Like Lukasz Czerwinski likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2022

Jira doesn't contain reporting at that level because it doesn't want to be banned from use in one of its largest (and growing) marketplaces 

The data is, of course, in there, but you'll need to write your own stuff to extract it and build reports against it.

I would point out that micromanagement and in-team competitiveness are very much demoralising and disincentivising for your people.  It would be worth your managers understanding that, rather than burning time on something that will just get in the way of your people getting stuff done.

Lukasz Czerwinski July 27, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , on the other hand, it's good to learn who in the team is underperforming and provide some support for them.  The developers focus on their work so they might be totally unaware of the fact that they peers are performing much better and wouldn't signal it themselves.  It's the manager's role to oversee the development, detect slowdowns and help in a constructive way specific developers, e.g. by providing suitable trainings. What's your advice?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2023

I would advise training or helping your team leads to do their job better.

If they are trying to use numbers in the issue tracker to look at how individuals are performing, they clearly do not understand what the team is doing.  A good team lead will not need to see numbers, they will be working as part of the team, and so they will see who may be struggling.

Suggest an answer