What is the way to update test steps in multiple test-cases via bulk-update feature.

Alankrat Daga June 24, 2021

What is the way to update test steps in multiple test-cases via bulk-update feature.
I didn't find any relevant link to bulk update all of them,
Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hi @Alankrat Daga 

Where are your test steps stored?  If they in the "Description" field, I'm afraid there's no way to update them via the bulk tool.  I found this request for this feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67821

Instead, you can update the description field using the CSV import tool.  Start by finding the list of issues to update, then export them, their key, and their summary field (required!) to CSV format.

Next, update the data as needed in Excel or a text editor and save the file back to CSV format.

Here's what the data will look like in tabular format.

Issue key Summary Description
ISSUE-1 Test Case 1 New test case information goes here
ISSUE-2 Test Case 2 New test case information goes here

Finally, import the CSV information back into Jira. The CSV import utility is located at: Admin > System > External System Import.

Tips:

• Including the issue key is vital.  This will trigger an issue update, not an issue create. 
  • Don't forget to include the "Summary" field in your export.  It's required for the import, even if the data isn't changing.
  • Always test imports in a sandbox environment first.  If you don't have a test environment, at least create a test Jira project.
  • Test importing just a couple records and make sure all is well before importing hundreds or thousands of records.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Alankrat Daga June 24, 2021

I am looking for a solution where I will manually write test steps in the defined "test step section"(if exist) and that will update my similar X test cases (update test steps in them) in one go.

Suggest an answer