What is the simplest way to add autorized groups to project

Alan Bregant April 17, 2019

Hi, What would be the simplest way to add group to project?

One would imagine simplest way would be to add group from "people" overview, but for some reason this is not the case in Jira.

I have the groups and roles created (and security schemas), but cant find the way to add them to newly created project. 

All the videos out there are for older version of Jira.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2019

Hello Alan,

I hope you are having a nice day.

A project can be restricted in two ways: By project permission and by security levels.

1 - About the project permissions:

If you navigate to a project > Project Settings > Permissions, you will see a bunch of permissions related to that project (Administer project, browse project, edit issues, etc). They are all grouped and configured in a permission scheme.

That been said, the simplest and better way to configure your project permissions would be by adding your groups to a specific project role in the People tab (Developers, Administrators, users, etc) and then add this project role for the relevant permissions in the Permission tab. 

Since project roles are configured per-project, you can keep using the same permission scheme for all projects and just organize under the people tab what teams should access/be restricted to what in the projects.

About Security Levels:

It is a higher level of restriction which can be performed in a per issue basis, however, differently from the permission feature, it has only a single restriction level: The user can access/view the issue or not.

That been said, this feature works based on a field that you add to your issue where you can select a security level. If the user is not properly configured in the Security scheme with this level, the issue will not appear for him.

For more information about these two features, you can check both documentations below:

Project permissions

Configuring issue-level security

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer