What is the roadmap for JIRA Portfolio and nextgen JIRA projects?

Michael Ritacco November 19, 2018

We use JIRA Portfolio and JIRA Software and noticed that JIRA Portfolio really doesn't support the nextgen JIRA project type. What are the plans for JIRA Portfolio?

2 answers

0 votes
johndpatton June 16, 2019

Honestly it would be nice if Atlassian would spend less time blogging and more time telling us what’s actually coming down the pipe as we have to hedge our bets on which products and apps we can adopt and hope Atlassian doesn’t pull the plug on them or replace them with other products. 

Michael Ritacco June 17, 2019

Simple question - still no clarity after 7 months. Atlassian please consider your running a subscription service not a top secret covert skunk works product here. If you cannot tell customers what you intend to support when your marketing says one thing and the product doesn't do that thing then we must assume you will not continue to support the product and prepare to cancel or look for alternatives - if you don't answer the questions then our base assumption going forward will be you're dropping JIRA Portfolio for your recent acquisition - JIRA Agile which does basically the same thing.

• Will JIRA Portfolio support Nextgen projects?
  • When will JIRA Portfolio support Nextgen projects? 
Like Julian Norman likes this
Alex H October 21, 2019

I low key wish that Next Gen projects came with a warning something like "we might not have any intention of making this work with our other products so use at your own risk"

Because realising this now... is tedious. Especially after we've built next gen projects but looks like I'll have to do a lot of graft to... downgrade to an inferior product to support portfolio?

:/

Like i3ericb likes this
0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

Portfolio for Jira is specifically aimed at managing a multi-project portfolio. It does not look as if next-gen projects will be at that level really soon.

Jason Wong, a lead Product Manager for Jira Cloud has recently hosted an Ask me Anything session on this Community. A lot of interesting information about the roadmap and where the product(s) currently are can be found there.

Here is the link: Jira Cloud 2.0 | Ask me Anything with Jason Wong

Michael Ritacco November 19, 2018

Thanks. Not worried about timing but where is the official roadmap for JIRA Portfolio so we can see how it fits into the next generation?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

The Portfolio team is currently working on a new planning experience as well. Although Atlassian - understandably - does not share a full and complete public roadmap online, you can get some insight about what is being worked on right here.

Peter Jansen May 26, 2019

Hi - perhaps to ask a similar question to Michael - what is Atlassian's strategy with Portfolio for JIRA and next-gen projects?  Will next-gen projects for JIRA be extended to support multiple teams and to incorporate some of the Portfolio for JIRA features?  Or will Portfolio for JIRA continue to be developed to better support multiple team plans and Enterprise scenarios?

We are looking at options for roadmap management and overall backlog management.  For me the next-gen roadmap doesn't cut it because it only seems to have good support for a roadmap for a single dev team.  But, we need to decide what product to invest in for tracking the work of multiple teams.  In order to make the choice of product I'd like to know what Atlassian's strategy is here.

Like Julian Norman likes this

Suggest an answer