What is the recommended way to add "Create Jira issue" button in a custom web app?

Maciej Wrześniewski January 18, 2021

Hi there,

What is the recommended way to add "Create Jira issue" button in a custom web app?

The goal is to allow a user to click "Create Jira issue" button, which will result in redirection to a pre-filled "Create Jira issue" form on the Jira page.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi @Maciej Wrześniewski

welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Reading your request this is what "Issue Collectors" were made for. You can use them right away from your Jira Cloud instance - no additional costs.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-issue-collector/

Some more complex alternatives would inquire writing own code to let your web app speak to the API of Jira Cloud.
Sometimes in the past I have seen some kind of mail integration - this sounds not very neat and needs a lot of tricking around (you would need a form which sends to Jira).

I'd suggest to have a look into "Issue Collectors".

Cheers,
Daniel

Maciej Wrześniewski January 19, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers  : )

This is an interesting solution. Though it's reversed! With issue collector you as app owner set the config on your own and embed some code in the app so that users can "indirectly" create Jira issues in your chosen project.

My goal is to allow a user to create a personal config that will enable this user to create a Jira ticket in a configured Jira project of that user. And to simplify things, I believe that the most straightforward and most elegant solution would be to redirect the user to a proper Jira form with some of the fields pre-filled.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

I believe the nearest of what you describe is the HTML links feature that is available from Jira Server, but not Jira Cloud.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-create-issues-using-direct-html-links-in-jira-server-159474.html

Based off your explanation this is 100% what we did in the past for a requirement like yours. This will not help you, as it won't fly on Jira Cloud - but just to mention there was some solution.
So - my guess would be you have to do some interaction with API or probably you are able to find anything related from Marketplace? https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Last but not least there is a full-blown solution, Jira Service Management but that goes far beyond a simple form/interaction between Web App and Jira.
But now that you are here I will link it:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/embed-a-widget-onto-a-web-page/

Maciej Wrześniewski January 20, 2021

@Daniel Ebers 

Thank you for your in-depth answer! As a matter of fact, direct HTML links are exactly what I am looking for.

I am not very familiar with the Jira nomenclature (Jira Server vs. Jira Cloud etc.), so that's why the description was probably not entirely correct. But eventually, with your help, I have a working solution :)

0 votes
Spasoje Jesic January 18, 2021

In my opinion, the usual  "create" button in next-gen projects is the best way to quickly create any issue. So I think there is no better way :)

Welcome :)

Maciej Wrześniewski January 18, 2021

Could you please elaborate, or point me in the right direction, how could I integrate these "next-gen projects" so that on our web app we will have a button that redirects to Jira page with some of the issue fields pre-filled?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events