What is the equivalent JQL query for a scrum board backlog

Deleted user August 15, 2018

I wish to implement a filter that provides the same results as the Scrum board's backlog lists. So that I can use the Export CSV feature found on the "Issues and Filters" page. And since there isn't the ability to export a csv file of the scrum board's backlog.

I don't want to modify it, but implement the same filter so that I can export only the backlog items.

I haven't found the (default ?) filter and while I'm close to emulating that filter, I want to know the exact filter.

Thanks 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

Hi David

If you go to Board settings, General you will see the filter that is used for your board.

To get just the Backlog items, you would need to add

AND Sprint not in openSprints()

somewhere logical in the filter

Deleted user August 15, 2018

Hi Warren,

Thank you for your reply.

I have done this but the issue count is an order of magnitude greater than shows on the board. (The backlog shows a count of 289 while there is over 6309 issues using the JQL of shown.)

What other places would further filter the one found under Board Settings > General?

I didn't do the original setup of this project, but I'm the lucky individual doing the clean up in the absence of a Product Owner. So combine that with not having JIRA administrator skills and being a novice at JQL - there may be some operator error on my part.

Hopefully this additional information my help in honing in on the root behavior.

Best regards,

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

As I read your reply I realised a further thing to add - exclude all the Closed issues!

The Backlog only shows issues not in a sprint AND not in the closed state, so you'll need to also add

AND status != Closed

or whatever status is the equivalent for you - some have Done. Whilst in Board settings, go to Columns and see what the right hand status is - this is what you want to use in this query

Deleted user August 17, 2018

While the suggestions haven't worked out with a simple filter, the identification of various status options allowed me to construct a more complicated JQL filter that emulates the backlog's filtering. 

I checked some previous projects that I've worked on and the JQL that shows on the Board Settings produces the same result as a query on the Issues and Filters page. Apparently I've inherited a weird project. Clean up has started.

Thanks Warren for the pointers. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2018

it used to be that there was a link on the backlog that allowed you to view in the traditional list view that JQL provides. I miss the old days sometimes. :-)

Like John O'Donnell likes this
Nate Vasquez April 15, 2020

I still can't figure out how to create a filter only showing my Backlog items (currently using Next Gen). Coming up as nothing when I do (which I thought used to work):

project = ABC AND Sprint not in openSprints() AND Sprint not in closedSprints() AND Sprint not in futureSprints()

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

@Nate Vasquez, your question is really a new question given you are on NG project and is different from the original post.

That said, i just had success w/ this for my test NG project ...

project = Next-gen and Sprint is EMPTY and issuetype !=epic and status != done

Like Jimmy Branton likes this
Elaine Thompson September 1, 2021

Hi there. Hope someone can help. I'm trying to pick up all tickets for several epics under a project which are either sat in future sprints or on the backlog. When I use this filter, which I think should work, it only brings up 33 tickets (stories & Subtasks), but there are about 130. Any suggestions?

parentEpic in (ICT-2866, ICT-4726, ICT-4594, ICT-4422, ICT-4709, ICT-4883, ICT-5095, ICT-5096) AND status != Done AND Sprint not in openSprints()

Jonathon Hodges November 9, 2021

Hey Elaine,

I guess by now you've solved this but not in openSprints() will exclude your future sprints as well as the current sprint. Does it help to use futureSprints() for ones that are created but not yet started?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-functions/#Advancedsearchingfunctionsreference-openSprints

I'm baffled why there isn't a backlog() function, given that the backlog is a key concept in Jira. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you use sprint is empty for 'is in backlog'?

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2021

@Jonathon Hodges , I think the reason why the backlog() doesn’t exist is that backlog is not singularly defined. That is, what displays in a given backlog can differ between boards. If all backlogs were defined by say a status of “Backlog” then it would be easy.

Like Jonathon Hodges likes this
Jonathon Hodges November 10, 2021

Thanks Jack, I didn't realise I could adjust what made up the backlog. Could be useful, though I'm not immediately sure how!

Mike Lamson April 21, 2023

Hm, but if Jira knows what to display under the backlog, you would think it might be easy to query that yourself...every other option I've seen makes assumptions about the particular implementation of Jira...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

@Mike Lamson , once you define your backlog then the application knows what to display based upon the definition/direction that you gave. You can create a JQL that mirrors the actual backlog of a specific board, e.g. project = abc and (sprint is empty or sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints())). If you consider future sprints part of the backlog then leave that bit off.

Like Michael Goldberg likes this
2 votes
Deleted user February 25, 2022

This is the query that gave me the exact numbers as shown in backlog.

<Your board query> AND type not in (Epic, Sub-task) AND status not in (<all done states in your board> accepted, closed, resolved, "IN QA") AND (sprint is EMPTY OR sprint not in openSprints() AND sprint not in futureSprints())

0 votes
pavan_kumar.adurthi June 15, 2022

This is what has given me the exact results

project = <Project Code> and status not in (<Statuses in the last column (Done Criteria) of columns section in Board settings>) and sprint is EMPTY AND issuetype not in (Epic, Sub-task) ORDER BY created DESC

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events